Question about using AI on DG03 to monitor son's air preasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChimarraoMate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a long talk with the Hollis Rep the other day. I learned a lot. Good guy and good support so far. I am going to pick up a few of these DG03 today for a great price. I know that I can connect to my sons air gauge transmitter if I want and we are close enough. However, the rep told me that years ago they had to remove the friend monitoring function from all computers because of a copy-write on the technology and the other party wanted too high of royalties. So, If I do choose to connect to my son's tank pressure, it will immediately update and modify my own stats and logs.

Being that we are new and my son is 13 (I keep thinking he is 12...) and limited by PADI to 21 meters of depth, is it really going to impact my logs that much if we are swimming side by side? I don't think it will it impact my nitrogen tissue load or accent rates at all, so that leaves oxygen tissue loads, which I do not think is going to be an issue in subsequent dives anyway.

I guess I am looking for the impact (pros and cons) of checking up on his pressure? Especially how it may or may not impact subsequent dives in the same day and air travel readiness.

Has anyone used it like this?

-BTW: I am new and my name is Chris.

edit: for clarity, I think the AI only obtains air pressure and how quickly I am consuming it, but the rest of the data comes from the device on the wrist... Maybe I am wrong?

If you were doing multiple dives over multiple days I suspect it would give some pretty faulty info. For a dive or two, shouldn't make much difference, but it will still give you incorrect info

Why do you want to monitor his air that closely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The other company is probably Uwatec/Scubapro. They have that in the Galileo. If you really want this, look at those. But you'll be close to your son, you can ask him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you want to monitor his air that closely?

Probably the same reason I monitor his assignments on a daily basis. I think that and him working hard is why he has a 4.0 GPA. :wink:

The other company is probably Uwatec/Scubapro. They have that in the Galileo. If you really want this, look at those. But you'll be close to your son, you can ask him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I will be right next to him, and thought the same thing to myself. I think it is just the ability to let him do his thing without bugging him, yet still know he is ok.

I read this as either you are not ready for him to dive, or he is not ready to dive. Good luck finding what you are looking for, but, maybe this is the time to let him do his own thing and learn how to follow instructions.

Helicopter parenting works well for some things, but I'm not sure that's a great idea for an activity like scuba diving. You're training him that no matter what he does or how distracted he gets, mommy will swoop in and save him. That doesn't make for a very good diver or person. I got certified at 12 and was responsible the same as the older divers for monitoring my situation underwater. Of course, I also soloed a plane at 16 and moved alone to another country at 18, so I suspect my life and comfort zone is a bit different than what you imagine your son doing.

When my sons were young and new to diving I would frequently ask them how much air they had, in part to keep them thinking about it. It was their job to monitor their air (and depth and ndl, etc) and I was just an interested dive buddy. I would worry that actively monitoring air/depth/ndl FOR a new diver instead of insuring that he was doing for himself could be counterproductive. Just a thought...I would not try to tell you how to supervise your child.

That said, I thought the buddy check feature was still on those computers..they just couldn't advertise it or something. But I don't know for sure. On the other hand I think you have to be within something like 3-4' to get a reading off another diver's transmitter and at that point you could just ask to see the computer. You could also set his computer to give an audible alarm at whatever pressure you want and if you are as close to him as you plan, you would easily hear the alarm.

Agree with the other posters who say to let him monitor his own air. Hovering should be a skill not a way of watching a new young diver. I could.see a 13 yr old boy quickly learn to resent that level of smothering. Just as he will quickly resent a parent checking his school work on a daily basis once those puberty hormones kick in. It's ok for a seven or eight year old. But too many kids are not allowed to.fail on their own and learning from that. So when they do fail in real life as they will, if it happens at the wrong point they end up losing it over what is really nothing. A 4.0 at 13 is meaningless if the kid is not having fun.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

In my opinion, and as already stated, if you feel that type of oversight and monitoring is necessary, then maybe you and/or your son are not quite ready. If someone is incapable of monitoring their own gas, then they shouldnt be diving. Being a new diver yourself, only makes the whole notion more problematic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom