Question for Alex,Drew and Nipi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastEndDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Guys I need to know the optimum time for silversides in Cayman.I was there the first week of June 2013 and they were in, not in the vast numbers that are possible.

I showed some of the vids and pictures to my editor and he was very exited and wants a lot more.I am trying to find out when the best time has been historically so I can get down at that time next year.

I missed the Goliath on the Kittiwake is he for real or an "Urban Legend"?

I own on island so I don't have to worry about reservations etc.

Thanks

John

I cannot tell you anything more precise than "around this time". You do know that there are silversides at Devil's Grotto (and also Eden Rock) now? Check it out, if you haven't already, as they don't stay very long.

Alex thanks.Was on island last week and Eden Rock had them in thick.

They can come in anytime from June through September. They mostly congregate in sites with a lot of shadows for them to hide in so locations with canyonways and caverns are favored.

It is totally hit-or-miss though. They can be thick as soup at Grouper Grotto one day when there are none to be found around the corner at Snapper Hole. Word spreads quickly with the dive staff so they'll know where the silversides are running.

Drew thanks. I thought that was the answer.Trying to plan for next year will possibly plan for first week in July.

We go when Jason or Sergio tell us they are there - it's usually June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom