Question for all female divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nanako

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's been almost 10 years since I started scuba diving.
Then, I'd like to know when and how you started scuba diving.
How long have you done?
When did you get the license?
Why did you get interested in this activity?

My first time scuba diving was almost 6 yrs ago when I did a cruise to Grand Cayman Island. I did a Discover SCUBA on a close local reef. I was bitten bad. I came home & couldn't stand it. I got certified about 5yrs ago. I worked my way up & average about 100 dives/ yr (not bad for some one landlocked). I became an Open Water Scuba Instructor about 2 yrs ago. Just about a month ago, I completed my Full Cave Diver certification. I think I've been bitten by the diving bug in a most terrible way.:D

My first time scuba diving was almost 6 yrs ago when I did a cruise to Grand Cayman Island. I did a Discover SCUBA on a close local reef. I was bitten bad. I came home & couldn't stand it. I got certified about 5yrs ago. I worked my way up & average about 100 dives/ yr (not bad for some one landlocked). I became an Open Water Scuba Instructor about 2 yrs ago. Just about a month ago, I completed my Full Cave Diver certification. I think I've been bitten by the diving bug in a most terrible way.:D

Wow! That's really impressive! :) I hope to do even just half of what you've done.

I myself have always been interested in water, the ocean and sea life. I decided to add on a trip to the Bahamas at the end of an annual soccer trip to Orlando. Thinking about being near the ocean I decided that I needed to get underwater and see what was going on there. That was almost 4 years ago. I'm landlocked as well. I took 3 trips to the ocean that year and dove, but never really had any interest to do anything but ocean diving. I wasn't able to get back to the ocean until just a few weeks ago. However, doing my refresher course I got bit really bad myself. This week I'll be doing my first lake dive. And I'm hoping to do tons of practice in the pool over the winter, followed by AOW in the Spring/Summer. Oh, I can't wait! :dance:

Started diving only 4-years ago. I'd always wanted to, and finally got around to actually taking classes. Did my pool work and classroom work at home in NYC, and took a trip to Cozumel with the shop for my checkout dives. Between the wonderful experience I had there and the amazing friends I made - my instructor to this day is one of my dearest friends - I was absolutely hooked. I started volunteering with the NY Aquarium as a diver and animal docent, which simply added to the vicious circle of addiction.

About two years after getting certified and taking the odd warm water dive trip, I met my SO through the aquarium and our local dive club. Through him, I got some exposure to diving locally in the Northeast, as well as cave diving. I just got my Apprentice cave cert in July, and am now counting the days to our next cave trip.

Hmm, well... where & how I grew up didn't lend itself to diving. It was something that was cool but other people did it, ya know... Right before my husband and I moved here, we saw a special on Discovery Channel about the Yonaguni "pyramids". We knew we were coming to Okinawa and after more research on the island, we decided we had to learn to dive. We were here nearly 2 years before we became certified and it has since been 2 years. We both love it, both of us are DM's and he is looking at Instructor while I am more for the tech route. Our 16 y/o is certified and when our 10 y/o gets his cast off, he'll be next. I am really excited for when all four of us are ready to go and we don't have to leave the kids at home all of the time.

Been certified for over three years. I promised a colleague who heard I was going to Australia/New Zealand for holiday that I would do a Discover Scuba at the Great Barrier Reef, and I was HOOKED.

Following year (2007) while in Bora Bora I got my OW, then in 2008 I got my AOW while in Costa Rica. A few month later I was in Mexico and joined a cenote tour and was HOOKED. The addiction keeps growing.

I was a vacation diver up until that point but since have decided to start diving local and in any environment which my wallet and schedule will allow. I am interested in training and diving caves and am slowly working toward that goal taking courses with GUE and TDI.

No one in my immediately family or circle of friends dive but I was hooked so thank goodness I found SB because now I have more buddies than a gal could hope for. :)

I'm landlocked as well. I took 3 trips to the ocean that year and dove, but never really had any interest to do anything but ocean diving. I wasn't able to get back to the ocean until just a few weeks ago. However, doing my refresher course I got bit really bad myself. This week I'll be doing my first lake dive. And I'm hoping to do tons of practice in the pool over the winter, followed by AOW in the Spring/Summer. Oh, I can't wait! :dance:

I think you'll find local diving, while not the nice warm, tropics & crystal clear water, isn't all that bad. I keep myself diving year round in order to keep my skills sharp. I have found that diving in cold, sometimes murky water has really helped me in many facets of my diving & made me a much more comfortable diver. Basically I train in the worst conditions, so that the other stuff is a piece of cake.

I think you'll find local diving, while not the nice warm, tropics & crystal clear water, isn't all that bad. I keep myself diving year round in order to keep my skills sharp. I have found that diving in cold, sometimes murky water has really helped me in many facets of my diving & made me a much more comfortable diver. Basically I train in the worst conditions, so that the other stuff is a piece of cake.

I bet your skills are so much better as a result of the conditions! That's exactly where I'd like to be in a year.

I'm really surprised by my sudden change in interest in this sport. It's addicting now. Before I really just wanted to be a vacation diver, but now I want so much more. Hopefully by next year I will be able to say how much better I've become. :)

I'm really surprised by my sudden change in interest in this sport. It's addicting now. Before I really just wanted to be a vacation diver, but now I want so much more. Hopefully by next year I will be able to say how much better I've become. :)

Can't wait to hear your reports as you progress.:D

How long have you done? Since 1993
When did you get the license? In 1993
Why did you get interested in this activity? Not enough bottom time skin diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom