Question for experienced divers/world travelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HDRider10

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are starting to plan a trip for our 15th wedding anniversary (which is not until Oct 2013, so we have plenty of time). We have four area's we are looking at right now that interest us. They are Roaton Hondorus, Bonaire, Bahamas and St. Croix. Obviously all have good and bad points. We are looking to do a combination of shore diving and boat diving. Some of the types of diving we would like to do on this trip is reef diving, wall diving, a nice wreck dive or two and I really would like to do a shark dive. We are both owc and have around 25 dives each, so we are not very experienced (my wife prefers shore diving, she is a little hesitant about diving from a boat). Any suggestions or information if you have been to any of these places.

There's virtually no shorediving on Roatan except at the Cocoview wall and one or two other places. The only sharks you'll see there are at the Waihuka shark dive - probably not a good dive for 25 dive divers - the currents can be a problem.

You likely won't see any sharks on Bonaire but it really is the shore dive capital of the Caribbean. And it's easy, low-current diving. Many of the entries are over ironshore and coral rubble in the surf line so the entries can be slightly difficult. Good treaded boots are jsut about required.

Navigation is simple, the reef runs parallel to the shoreline in most cases. We often spotted the mooring ball/rope on our return - the water is usually very clear. For boat diving since your wife is hesitant, book with an operator with a larger boat as they will have often have swimsteps and ladders making entries/exits a lot easier. And you can giant stride off the back instead of having to backroll off the side. We liked Toucan Divers for this as they have smaller diveboats with the above amenities. During the week most of our dives there were at the most 8 divers total - I think they only take 12. One dive in the afternoon it was us, the DM and another couple.

In addition to Bonaire, you might consider Curacao. It's almost the exact same diving except many of the entries are off sandy beaches instead of ironshore. And there's dive facilities at many of them, those are non-existent on Bonaire except for sites directly off the dive resorts. Typically the reef is slightly further out on Curacao - often requiring a short surface swim out. There's also much more non-dive things to do on Curacao.

For shark dives, either Nassau or Freeport are options. Stuart Coves does shark feeds as does UNEXSO on Freeport. Bahama Divers also does dives from Nassau where you're likely to see sharks - one is Lost Blue Hole. There isn't any shorediving off either though - the reef is too far out.

I've never been to St. Croix but plan to soon. There is about 1/2 dozen shore dives on the north side along the Cane Bay wall. I've read it's also high current/more difficult entry diving at times. The Fredrikstad pier is supposed to be an easy entry good dive also.

ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community! is a good reference for shorediving any of the places on your list. The site listings show the entries with descriptions of what to expect.

Last edited:
CocoView Resort, Roatan is EXACTLY what you are looking for!
I think the place is very romantic, too. It is rustic little cabins over the water, no tv, no kids... aaaahhh. Relaxing! Shore diving is easy, walk right into the water, walk right out. And as far as the boat dives go... they have boats that are easy on and off (sit low to water), plus a moon well to climb up if the seas are a little rough.
Walls, wrecks, all you are looking for!!
CoCo View Resort Roatan Scuba Roatan Diving located in Roatan, Honduras diving, scuba and snorkeling.

It is not the cheapest place on the island, but that is for a reason! The staff are amazing, the food great, the boats great, the personal service makes you feel special, and then the fact it is very small and only divers... you cannot beat it anywhere in Caribbean. There is a shark dive that people can book through the resort (not included in CCV price) but I have not done it. I have heard good and bad reviews about it. There is also a dolphin dive (at another resort) that some people do that gets good reviews.

I have also heard people enjoy Anthony's Key Resort on the other side of Roatan. It is also considered romantic but it has more families (with kids) and a bit larger overall. I have also heard that their shore diving sucks... but that was from a friend who did CCV several times so her viewpoint may be slanted. She also said that the staff at CCV was much better than Anthony's.

If this looks like what you want.... book as soon as you can. The resort fills up months in advance!!
CCV_sunrise227.jpg

other places you mentioned:
Bonaire is good diving, but I don't call it romantic or an anniversary special-type trip. It is too much work dragging tanks in and out of your truck for all the shore diving, IMHO, to call it a relaxing trip.

Bahamas I have only done by Liveaboard and those 2 trips were some of the best dive trips we have ever taken. We just love liveaboards, plus they get you out away from the crowds to the best diving areas. I have heard that the best place to go land-based in Bahamas is on one of the outer islands, but we haven't done that so no personal experience.

St Croix.. haven't been, but I have seen some nice photos and heard it is romantic.

robin

HI there,
Well, I live here in the Bahamas and work for a dive shop which boasts the oldest hand feeding shark dive [25+ years now] with a 100% perfect safety record. Here In Grand Bahama Island there are only three dive shops, but the famous Cristina Zenato, shark lady and Women-Divers-hall-of-Famer lives at this shop and feeds them herself. Right next door to us is a beautiful little boutique style hotel called Pelican Bay, and I spent my wedding nights there with my wife- lovely cosy suites with four posters and pretty island style yet modern, cappuccino machine, waterside views, all perfect. 2 mins walk away from Port Lucaya, all the town restaurants plus cafes and bars too, shopping, etc etc. Beach is by ferry across the bay or walk it in 5 mins.
Diving is great for wild dolphins, sharks all up and down the reef, more than 8 wrecks, big and small, super reefs with swim-throughs and lots of fish life. Beaches are miles and miles of white sand. All the other activities are available too horses kayaks etc., and if you plan to be alone, you can. Just avoid Spring Break!
Now I have not mentioned my own dive shop as this is not a forum for boasting one's own business, so I'll leave that to your internet savvy fingers... October is fairly quiet here after school starts again, the water is up in the 80's and 3mm full suits or less are the norm at that time of year. Bring a hood if you get chilled.
Needless to say the reef and wildlife here is awesome, plus you can dive caverns caves do dolphin dives, wreck dives, deep and more. We don't have much in the way of walls though- If that is important to you [you mentioned shore diving] you need to go to the Caymans! Little Cayman or the Brac is very quiet but super diving. No sharks really, no dolphins, but plenty shore diving and turtles, lots of walls.
Anyway, good luck and great diving - Congrats!
Eddy

Reactions: Doc
RobinT is correct about COCO View and they will arrange a shark dive for you as well.
It's not with them so there will be an extra charge.

I have been there three times and will probably go again one day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice, this is going to be a tuff choice. The Cocoview resort looks great and is definitely a possible choice. I know all places will have positives and negatives. Right now I would say are top two choices are Bonaire and Roaton, but we have time to keep looking and doing more research. Feel free to chime in with any other great information.

And about boat diving at CCV...... if your wife is afraid of boat diving because of sea sickness, waves rocking the boat, I think you would find those boats are not as big an issue. The CCV boats sit very low on water. The seas are pretty calm around southside of Roatan (where CCV dives), too. The boat rides are around 10 minutes, maybe 30 minutes to Mary's Place. So by the time you have set up your tanks and listened to the DMs briefing, you are there!

CCV_dock104.jpg

it is hard to tell from this photo, but you step directly off the side into the water... there is maybe 1' drop into the water. We have done lots of boats in the past 12 years diving, and these are the closest to the water we have done. Period.

For me, these are the easiest boat dives I have EVER done...

Also, they do not pack the boats full, there is plenty of room.
CCV_boat155.jpg

robin

I can highly recommend Barefoot cay on roatan. The villas are very very nice, the beds are amazing, the decor is very nice. The dive shop is one of the best I have used, excellent equipment, strong on safety, small dive groups. Food was very good. Quiet place, very upscale. No sand fleas, beautiful lagoon for snorkling. Very romantic and worthy of a special occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom