Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There should be no problem whatsoever about the recognition of a UTD/GUE/ISE cert, but if you'd also like a PADI cert then the instructor will have to ensure that the PADI standards are included. This may or may not be offered by those instructors. UTD and others have comparable courses to other agency's (PADI etc) and arguably more involved and a higher standard.

For example, all skills are done neutral and there is no touching of the bottom and the Recreational 1 (open water) includes both air and Nitrox.

Another option is that all UTD courses can be done in sidemount if desired.

There are several UTD instructors in LA and some I know personally, highly recommended. Because the programs are very similar I have no problem recommending GUE courses as well. I hope that helps.

And once again, seeing that avatar made me smile :) Thank you, it does help!

Thank you! You have been especially helpful and have taken a great deal of your time to help. It really means a lot! I am so looking forward to this. The attorney will be here shortly and I should have all that behind -- the attorney was almost finished, became very ill, then was hospitalized -- Geez -- I just keep thinking about water, floating, bubbles, fish, the ocean... It works. It will happen because of the wonderful people like you!

Regardless of how you go about it, you already have an open mind and a thirst for adventure............enjoy the fishies!

I'm sorry, I feel like this may be entirely my fault. Please let me say that I have appreciated the information that everyone is giving. I am exploring every possibility due to my recent bad experience. Normally I wouldn't worry, just dump the idiot instructor and move forward. I have to say that finding good information about where to turn next wasn't easy until I came here. I have and continue to encourage everyone to give me their opinion and I'm sorry for my frustration -- no one here deserved that.

Really, my "raw nerve" is an accumulation of events and not just one. The diving was my "plan" to get away from the things I have been dealing with for close to a year. Last year my mom passed away -- on hospice -- in the next room. The terrible insurance company did not provide me help, my brother's found every excuse not to help, and taking care of my dad and my dying mother sent me over the edge. If someone had told my brother's would take everything my dad owned and try to have him declared incompetent before my mom was cremated I would have called them a liar, but it happened. Slowly I am getting that mess squared away.

For the scuba, my planned respite, to turn out like crap was a little like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel only to discover it was a train -- sigh. I tend to compartmentalize and deal with things one at a time and *try* not to let the totality overwhelm me. The operative word *try*. I didn't give my scuba enough thought. So "overthinking" and trying to find every bit of information was the "smart" thing to do IMHO. It's the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" mentality.

Thanks to everyone here, and I do mean everyone. I apologize for harshness, it was out of character. I am finding my way and able to make much better decisions because of all the information and it makes all the difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I don't really know what ZEN is, but I pretend I might... - with that:

There is ZEN in scuba and you will find it!

Some of the time. Maybe not with every indtructor, maybe not on every dive, but you will find it. Just like you may find it on a mountaintop watching that sunrise, or paddling down a pretty river with the fog lifting off or maybe in one of your students eyes when the light bulb really comes on.... maybe even at 220kmh on the Autobahn when traffic conspires to make that Zen-like...

When you found it, when you are a diver, you will know what you and your instructor could have done better. It is hard to determine that by looking him / her in the eye and asking a few questins. Even a bad instructor likely knows what to say. It gets easier down the road. But you need to get started to get there. Tough place to be if you are thinking things over hard. (I did not say "over think"!)

I was there. Did not particularly like my first class and the sales pitch with it. Lots of reasons. Quality was not one of them.
But I sure enjoy diving now nevertheless!

I hope the instructor you decide on will work out for you. Keep in mind it's for OW at this point. It is not the end of all things. It will not be perfect, nor can it be.
But with your fervor it better be better than bad or I fear for the instructor's soul! :)

Anyway, along those lines is what I think they mean you are overthinking.

Think of it this way: if you never tasted chocolate, all the research on its taste and which version of it you might like best won't get you anywhere near as far as tasting it will.

Eat the chocolate.

The one instructor who I know regularly teaches REC1, Meredith, doesn't teach for any other agency. But she has an opening for the class in Florida in 5 days...

Please re-read the post -- I hadn't finished -- for some reason when I touch the touch pad incorrectly it posts -- I still don't know exactly what I'm touching to make it post??? who knows.

It's something like hitting Shift-Enter or maybe Ctrl-Enter that is a shortcut to immediately post, I think.

If you're accidentally holding down the Shift key when you hit the Enter key, that is probably what is causing your premature posts.

Or something like that...

I don't really know what ZEN is, but I pretend I might... - with that:

There is ZEN in scuba and you will find it!

But with your fervor it better be better than bad or I fear for the instructor's soul! :)

Just being near the ocean relaxes me, and being in the water... ahhh. Yes that is my zen to be sure. Always has been. When I want to relax I think about my trip to the Caymen Islands and snorkeling with sting rays -- life doesn't get much better.

And too funny about the instructor. Typically I'm easy going and just want to "pick their brain" so to speak. They are doing something I want to learn how to do. As long as the instructor doesn't try to steal my money we will be cool. I've taken about as much greed as I can handle. Going there with me right now is probably not a good idea and may be hazardous to your health, lol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom