Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are nuts... You all are worried about silly stuff... Using a hand to scull or moving up and down in the water a few inches are REAL WORLD... The water is moving around you... You are breathing.... Showing me that you can sit still in a pool is useless...

Show me you going down a hallway sideways and then drop down 2 decks and go upside down a hallway and move through a engine room without silting the hell out of the wreck...

Jim...

You guys are nuts...

Correct. How long did it take you to figure this one out? :wink:

You all are worried about silly stuff...

I wouldn't say worried, but we have taking things in this thread beyond the point of silly to make a point.

Using a hand to scull or moving up and down in the water a few inches are REAL WORLD... The water is moving around you... You are breathing.... Showing me that you can sit still in a pool is useless...

Show me you going down a hallway sideways and then drop down 2 decks and go upside down a hallway and move through a engine room without silting the hell out of the wreck...

Jim...

Here I disagree. Being able to sit motionless in a pool is useful. If a diver must scull with his or her hands continuously due to improper weighting, improperly placed waits, or whatever reason, what do you think that diver is going to do inside of a wreck?

Now with regards to the video you want to see, if that is the requirements for your students to pass in an open water class, just how many students have you certified? I would guess that an instructor that has worked at a mill and is nicknamed "Stubby" could count them on his remaining fingers.

Agreed, sitting motionless is an excellent example of the mastery of breathing and body control, which is buoyancy. This translates to confidence and ability in open water and a change of focus from the individual to the situational (awareness) of the dive environment and team members....safer......and safer is......dare I say it?.......better.

@CharlieRogers . I'm dying to to see this video. I'm sure the OP, @tbeck3579, is waiting anxiously as well.

Come on! Why the suspense?!?!?!? If you by chance you have forgotten, you said

Now is the video perfect? No, but neither are the videos on divegue.tv. I hope you don't think those guys look like **** (not 100% sure what word is ****, but I think I have an idea: not something I'd want to step in) but it is pretty darn good and I commend UDC for putting it together and publishing for the benefit of the dive industry. That is the direction open water needs to go. No more training on the knees at all, as not only is doing so not necessary, but it is detrimental to students' progression to proper trim and control.

You promised, so let's see it!!!!! :D

I asked for a hover in trim, motionless, NO sculling allowed with hands or FEET. I'm waiting...... :wink:

I was behind the camera this weekend - so no video I'm afraid. But I decided to check myself during a deco stop - and nope, I'm not as good as I thought. I was having to backfin slightly so I can't do it. There was other stuff going on this weekend which made me not even bother trying to video anything.

I've not seen gue tv. So I can't comment.

You almost got it right:
You got to get out of the house to get your fix of diving Zen, which in return will, by virtue of the caloric expenditure in the process, will let you enjoy yor chocolate Zen sin free and caloric punishment free....
Besides, there's a pretty good excuse for combining chocolate and diving: Dive Health: Eat Chocolate Before Diving — Really

There was a student years ago who, when instructed on how to hover, was as perfectly still as I've ever seen anyone--first attempt. I would think that it would be a little harder to do in a pool vs. perfectly still salt water--due to fresh water being less dense. Make sense?

I would think that it would be a little harder to do in a pool vs. perfectly still salt water--due to fresh water being less dense. Make sense?
I don't see how freshwater or saltwater would make an appreciable difference. I do think it is harder for most people to hover in a pool, though, because they are usually doing it at a shallower depth. Buoyancy is more difficult to control the closer you are to the surface because air spaces expand and contract more with minor changes in depth.

Eating dark chocolate just before a dive hinders the chills :)...has always worked for me but then I never dive in water below 78:)

Eating dark chocolate just before a dive hinders the chills :)...has always worked for me but then I never dive in water below 78:)
clearly needs more in depth study using variety of milk and dark chocolates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom