Question for the girls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbethveg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have tried EVERYTHING to keep my hair out of my face (and my mask) while diving. I have a bonnet and a hood and unless I'm really deep they both make my mask leak. What can I use to keep my hair pulled back that will keep my mask from leaking? Ideally I'd like to keep my bonnett because my ears just get so cold! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried putting your mask underneath your hood?
There is more than one reason why that is a good idea. I guess you mean Beanie for bonnet? It should go on after your mask and work well at keeping your hair out of your face.

I have the same hair issues as the OP. I haven't solved that (beyond a ponytail or braid(s)), but I also had the mask/hood leak problem, when I was wearing a hood in cold water. I tried the mask over and under the hood... still leaked! Finally I figured out that it was the chin part of the hood that was causing it. The reason was that it was changing the shape of my cheeks and that was causing my mask to not fit and to leak. I solved that by pulling the chin part under my chin (instead of over it as it was designed).

One way I handle post-dive tangles is to put conditioner in my hair before I shower (post dive), then I comb it out, and then shower/shampoo. I have heard of people putting conditioner in their hair before the dive, but I've also read that conditioner is bad for the reef, so I don't do it pre-dive.

Beanie. Mask. Hood. The beanie should secure your hair from getting in your mask. Put it on so all of the hair around your face is tucked in even bangs if the are short. Then put your hood on and slide the face opening over your head so your head is now sticking through both the neck and face openings. Put your mask on oso the strap is over the beanie and reposition the hood back over your head in proper place. The hood should/can cover the edges of the mask.

This will keep your hair and mask secure. I have a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch hood. Over a 3mm beanie. The Henderson is designed to be modified.

I used sharp scissors to trim the the opening and shorten the neck for a perfect fit. You may also need to add a few extra vent holes at the top. (metal coat hanger heated by gas flame works well. Cuts and seals the neoprene).

Using this method you won't need a mask strap cover. The beanie acts as the strap cover. Also, this adds mask safety. You won't accidentally have your mask dislodged from your face.

After getting out of the water I add mousse or other leave in styling conditioner to my hair to keep it from drying or tangling.

+1 for pigtails and braid. The last time I dove I decided to switch to pigtails and to braid what came out of the pigtails. It was SO much better. My hair was not tangled anywhere near it has been on previous dives and it was a lot more comfortable under the hood that way.

I have some soccer friends who use what's called "pre-wrap" to keep their bangs and shorters hairs out of their eyes and face. Pre-wrap is the colored thing althetic wrap that you put under tape, like whne you're taping your ankle. The girl shown on this website: Pre-wrap, the best selection anywhere!, she does not put all her hair behind it, but my friends put all their hair back in the pre-wrap. It's also very inexpensive.

You may also ask a buddy to make sure no hair or none of your hood is in the skirt of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom