question for those with a reg on bcd hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuckie......I would not chance breathing air out of my BCD even though it gets a regular flushing with chlorinated water in a swimming pool, I have never investigated what bacterias can live in there but I would not invite them into my lungs!!

Yuckie......I would not chance breathing air out of my BCD even though it gets a regular flushing with chlorinated water in a swimming pool, I have never investigated what bacterias can live in there but I would not invite them into my lungs!!

ummmmm..... the regulator/inflator is using the LP hose for air from your tank.... think that you have it a little mixed up. Yes, you can BC breathe if you had to (not sure it is being taught anymore), but that isn't what we are talking about

:D I guess I have a misunderstanding then, in the UK I have only seen primary second stage and octopus set ups. Can I ask how that works then, does the low pressure hose connect into the reg then out to the inflater, or have it's own air hose??

google Air-2. It had two buttons on it that act as a conventional LPI. Built into this, but upstream of the buttons is a demand valve regulator that is very little different (performance aside) than a conventional non-balanced 2nd stage.....

some like it, some don't. They have been around for quite some time.

Cheers for that, googled Air-2 and got air to air missiles with optional nuclear warheads, added reg and now understanding how it works...:D

I no longer use one for reasons similar to Superlyte's--long hose, bungieed 2nd, and very short inflator hose works best for my diving--but the myth that all octoinflators "breathe like crap" is uninformed bull:censored: masquerading as a relevant opinion. For example, the Atomic SS1 I used to use (and that my wife still uses) breathes great, even well below 130'. Not sure about other models, but as much as I love Atomic's products, I doubt they're the only ones who build a solid octoinflator.

However, they do require you to practice a specific set of skills to make an air-sharing ascent safe. Then again, so does a long hose. They also require you to make sure your inflator hose is long enough to breathe off comfortably, but not so long as to dangle messily. If you can get that stuff down and it works with the diving you do, they make a streamlined and simplified travel rec-rig that much better.

I just bought my first BCDs and regulator set ups for my wife and myself. We did 8 dives each last week. The inflator-back up reg worked really well for us. We tried the regulators at depth a couple times, and thought that they were fine. I like the streamlined simpleness. I'm 6'2" and like the slightly longer hose- Standard BCD inflators always seem too short and kind of awkward. Just my $.02.

hi
just curious.......for those of you who have a back up reg built in to your bcd inflator hose.......how do you manually fill your bcd ??
i have seen a few people use them but never checked one out up close.

so i saw the fella that was using the bcd reg set up again last night. he uses a sherwood type. it seems that the "fill" button is a two stage button. if you push it part way it will fill the bcd from the tank. if you push it all the way it allows you to fill manually. or maybe visa versa......you get the idea.

one more thing to consider ... the standard length hose that comes on your regulator is really too short to share with someone else ... While air sharing I found that if I had anything other than a bent arm as I held onto BC strap , the stock hose was pulling on the reg and almost out of her mouth ... I changed mine to a 43" one routed under my arm .. much better

so i saw the fella that was using the bcd reg set up again last night. he uses a sherwood type. it seems that the "fill" button is a two stage button. if you push it part way it will fill the bcd from the tank. if you push it all the way it allows you to fill manually. or maybe visa versa......you get the idea.

actually i misunderstood......sorry fellas. there are two separate buttons on that one. i misunderstood him. but if you have to push the manual fill button all the way down to basically plug off the exhaust valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom