Question on solo dive travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning,
Just had a question on solo dive travel. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or in the vacation section. But since its a general question I posted it here. I'm contemplating going to Aruba in March. I'm new to diving with around 20 something dives under my belt and most of these dives have been at local Ohio quarries with the exception of 2 shore dives in St Thomas. I want to get some diving in while there but I'm a little concerned as I will be traveling by myself and have never had the opportunity to do boat dives or dive without my buddie "Fiancee". My concern is mainly that I will not have a dive buddie and not sure exactly how that works when booking a dive trip. I know I've read on here numerous times were experienced divers get upset when paired with new divers or even refuse to be paired up with new divers. I realize my air consumption at this point is bad and I can understand why someone would not want to get paired with someone who will probably cause them to end their dive early. How does this normally work? Does the dive master typically pair up with the solo diver or would I be better off to pay for a guide to go with me? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
David

Good morning right back at ya David,

You ask a very good question, one that could tick me off. First off let me start by saying any experienced diver who refuses to dive with a new diver is an *** (can I say *** on SB) We all at one time started off as a new divers. That being said if I was on a boat and someone refused to dive with me because I was new is someone I would not want to dive with either as he is only thinking about him or herself, and would not make a good buddy.

Now as far as hireing a guide if it is not to costly and you don't mind spending the extra money that might not be a bad idea as this person would know the dive sites well and might be able to point out some interesting things while on the dive that you might not notice.

I would suggest you make some calls or E-mail some charters and see what they reccomend and how they work things out.

Most of all do not let these things worry you to much and book your trip and ENJOY.

scubatim2004

DavidHickey:
Good morning,
Just had a question on solo dive travel. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or in the vacation section. But since its a general question I posted it here. I'm contemplating going to Aruba in March. I'm new to diving with around 20 something dives under my belt and most of these dives have been at local Ohio quarries with the exception of 2 shore dives in St Thomas. I want to get some diving in while there but I'm a little concerned as I will be traveling by myself and have never had the opportunity to do boat dives or dive without my buddie "Fiancee". My concern is mainly that I will not have a dive buddie and not sure exactly how that works when booking a dive trip. I know I've read on here numerous times were experienced divers get upset when paired with new divers or even refuse to be paired up with new divers. I realize my air consumption at this point is bad and I can understand why someone would not want to get paired with someone who will probably cause them to end their dive early. How does this normally work? Does the dive master typically pair up with the solo diver or would I be better off to pay for a guide to go with me? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
David

An experienced diver who refuses to dive with a newbie might find himself sitting on the boat, if the newbie is the only other diver available. On several occasions I've seen folks show up solo. And they get paired up or trioed up (you DIR folks can go ahead and gasp :wink: ) before the boat leaves.

That being said, it might be best to do as tim suggests and call your dive op and see what they would like you to do. I'm almost certain it won't be "don't dive".

I've known shops in cozumel to pair the solo diver up with the divemaster, which in all reality isn't a bad thing because the divemaster can show you some really cool things that you might not normally see on your own without knowing what to look for. What usually happens when the solo diver is low on air is the divemaster launches the safety sausage and lets the solodiver do an ascent and the divemaster stays at depth and lets the rest of the divers complete their dive.

As far as "experienced" divers not wanting to buddy up with "new" divers; there are allot of different reason's why somebody wouldn't want to buddy up with somebody they didn't know. For instance, Allot of people don't want to buddy up with somebody they don't know because they don't know their training level and since they don't know the person, they don't trust them. It's nothing against the solo diver. It's just the divers do not know each other or have seen each other dive. Everybody is on the boat to make dives and being buddied up with somebody that you don't know can be a handicap because you aren't used to your buddy and their style of diving and nobody want's to be held back from having the best dive they can. It doesn't make them an ***** hole, as some people tried to make it sound.

Contact the shop you are going to dive with and ask them for their recommendations. They will probably have you pair up with the divemaster if somebody else isn't available.

Dave,

Don't worry about it. Be right out front with your dive operator.....tell them what your thoughts are...so you burn a little air..that's normal at your point. I'm sure you have strong points also. Aruba is not complicated diving..it's just great!! Boat and shore. You'll find somebody that will be happy to dive with you and probably end up buddying for the whole trip. Have fun!!

regards,

Paired up with the DM can be really cool. I had that experience in Hawaii and he showed me all kinds of stuff the other divers didn't see - scorpionfish, eels, etc.

"Getting paired up" with a newbie can be irritating, but I've never minded pairing up with one. The difference in my mind is whether I'm being told to dive with a newbie when I have something else in mind, or volunteering to dive with someone new when doing so doesn't affect my plan.

My recommendation when travelling solo and wanting a dive buddy is to ask if anyone would mind diving with you. If there's another single diver, or a trio who wouldn't mind splitting up, that's often an easy way to handle it without any hard feelings. If there's no volunteer, talk to the DM ASAP and let him know. Usually, he'll dive with you if that's the case, but by acting early you'll have an opportunity to talk to your buddy before the dive either way.

What you don't want to do is keep to yourself until the boat gets to the dive site, and bring it up then. Give yourself a little bit of time to talk to your new buddy, discuss your experience levels, and do a good pre-dive.

The only time I've been irritated by "getting paired up" with a new diver, my buddy and I had already discussed a plan for a 90' night dive to a cold-water wreck, were already geared up, and were preparing to make an entry when the only other diver left on the boat said, "So... I guess I'm diving with you guys?" That was not only inconsiderate, but also dangerous, as we didn't know anything about the guy, and he didn't know anything about the plan or our gear. He got the summary while he finished suiting up. It turns out this was one of his first cold water dives, his first night dive, and his first deep dive in cold water gear. It also turns out that he started to panic on the way down, and we had to abort the dive before we got to 45 fsw.

Don't be that guy.

ScubaSixString:
(you DIR folks can go ahead and gasp :wink:
Not that I'm DIR, but those who are can dive in trios. It's your turn to go ahead and gasp. :wink:

MSilvia:
Not that I'm DIR, but those who are can dive in trios. It's your turn to go ahead and gasp. :wink:

Hmmmm. Somebody, in this case me, is misinformed about the DIR community?.....now that IS a shock :wink:

One caution about buddying up with the DM or guide on a dive. DON'T assume that he is truly your buddy. DON'T assume that he will ascend with you when you go low on air.

Make sure that you are clear on the plan for the highly probable case of you going low on air before the rest of the group, and that you are comfortable with that plan.

I've done dozens of solo trips, starting with my 4th dive after certification, with very few problems. The few minor problems were mostly due to lack of understanding or different expectations as to what "standard procedure" is.

Just be open and honest about your experience, or lack thereof, and ask for clarification if there is something about the dive plan you don't understand.

My wife is usually my dive buddy on vacation sometimes she does not want to dive so I go myself on the charter boat. I have never had a problem hooking up with someone on the boat, became a third wheel or just went along with the divemaster. I did this both in Aruba and Nassau. No Problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom