Question re: P&S exposure controls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is the OP doesn't have many controls on his camera, yet it has +/- 0.3 EV controls. This is most easily done (by the camera engineers) by controlling the exposure time. On my wife's P&S (Canon) if you look at the exposures it is always done by changing the shutter speed at least in the +/- 1 EV limits.
Bill

I know of no point and shoot that has any significant F stop range ..... 2.8 - 8 is the largest I have seen, and many only have two stops. One gets more than that while zooming, but from any one focal length, that is about all one gets.

If you had say F16 as an option, the image quality would be terrible.

This piece of advice from someone, who started 3yrs ago from point 0 w/ SL Reefmaster(very limited adj. options): The simplest way to figure out what your specific cam model does, is systematically experimenting by shooting a given subject numerous times and adjusting one parameter to different settings(ie,EV/+,-), compare pics and exif-data. The exif data will tell you which parameters changed as a result of your adjustment and the comparative pic-quality should allow you to judge appropriate adj. levels. All this is a little time consuming, but the results will be worth the effort.

This piece of advice from someone, who started 3yrs ago from point 0 w/ SL Reefmaster(very limited adj. options): The simplest way to figure out what your specific cam model does, is systematically experimenting by shooting a given subject numerous times and adjusting one parameter to different settings(ie,EV/+,-), compare pics and exif-data. The exif data will tell you which parameters changed as a result of your adjustment and the comparative pic-quality should allow you to judge appropriate adj. levels. All this is a little time consuming, but the results will be worth the effort.

This is great advice and it's what I always do. It can be done indoors, in bright light levels and in a dimly dark room, to simulate different underwater conditions.

Scott

Scott, just checked out your UW gallery(strange animal behaviour), great stuff, unbelievable that you were able to capture these split-second events so perfectly in photographs.Hats off to your patience and craftsmanship! Will be back to your website soon to take a closer look.

Andreas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom