Question Relating to Licensing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been surfing around other threads just getting an idea of how things work...I'm at very best a few years from buying a boat, but I'm interesting in learning what needs to be done now to see if I can get a headstart. I've grown up around smaller boats like ski boats and bass fishing boats, both on the great lakes and smaller mountain lakes in Montana, so I'm not *completely* fresh, but I definitely wouldn't venture as far as to call myself 'experienced' at all.

I saw in another thread that for larger boats like charters, to get licensed you need so many days of "on the water experience" or something. For that, do you need to be working on the boat, or simply there? It seemed like an incredibly high number if it's not your job to work on the water, something like 750 days. I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about better than I do. The thing I was really curious about is if I go out as a paying customer on a charter, can I get the boat operator to sign off as having been on the water for that day as "experience"?

What are the classes of licensing for different boats, obviously there will be different requirements for a commercial operation than if I've got a catamaran for my family or something similar, right? Where's a good place to start for information on licensing and the regulations around operating boats near land. What changes if I want to venture farther out (other than the obvious of a boat that can handle the abuse..)?

Basically for a charter operation, you have "Inspected" and "Un-Inspected" charter operations.

Un-inspected is limited to 6 passengers and under something like 65feet max length.
It has a licensed captain of an unispected vessel. You get an OUPV license. (Operator Uninspected Passenger Vessel)

Inspected vessels are both inspected and have a licensed master (Captain) with a certain ton license.

read the link above that Daz posted and do searches on OUPV. Sounds like that is what you'll need to start with. BTW... you'll often hear OUPV license called a "6 pack" license because you're rated to carry 6 passengers. 365 days of on water experience are required for this and I think the 100 ton masters license.

I don't really intend to get a license to captain charters, I guess I should have made that clear. I'm more interested in recreational boating, moving myself and maybe some friends or family around now and then. I'll read the link tomorrow as I'm about to lay down for the night, and I'm sure it'll answer many of my questions so I'm going to try holding off for now haha.

The big one I'm curious about though is on the water experience, does that have to be working a vessel, or can it be just out on the water as a patron?

The experience is anytime you are on a vessel. Working, patron, boating on you own, working at the dock... anything. The rules are pretty "loose" as to what's considered a "day" on the water.

For what you seem to want to do. Take a USCG Aux. or Power Squadron "boating safety" course and that's all you need. You'll want to take the class anyway as it normally saves you about 10% on your boat insurance.

You do not need a "license" to operate a boat WITHOUT paying customers in most states. Some of the states are starting license programs but most of them are similar to a boating safety course or the like. As for "paying customers" there's some room there too. Someone chipping in for expenses does not constitute a paying customer, it has to be for attempted profit. Family and friends will be no problem.

In my mind, it's far more important to find someone to teach you how to run YOUR boat. I see way to many people do damage or put themselves in bad situations without proper knowledge of their own vessel. The rules of the road can be learned in a boating safety course.

Water hours are water hours, as long as they can be documented. I've known guys who used time on long distance yacht races to qualify. Like Cobalt said, you don't need a license to operate a boat in most areas, although the boat will need a license. (purely for tax purposes.) While your waiting, it's a good time to take a boating safety course The Coast Guard Auxiliary gives quite a few US Coast Guard Auxiliary - Visitors - Boating Education

You might check your area to see if you can charter a boat a few times before buying. It's cheaper than owning a boat and can give you good experience.

Some of the information above is incorrect. A passenger aboard a vessel will not constitute Sea Service Time for licensing purposes. You need to be working on that vessel in some capacity. The Captain or owner of the vessel must sign on your Sea Service Time document in what capacity you were serving on the vessel. If you were serving as crew aboard a sailing vessel in a race, that is considered Sea Service Time. If you are a passenger on a cruise ship, I guarantee that does not count as "Unlimited Tonnage Oceans" time which is the license held by the Captain of that vessel :wink:

I have a website that is basically all about the above at CommercialCaptains.com - Home if you want to read about the requirements for licensing.

To the original poster, if you plan to take passengers for hire, you need a Captain's license. Otherwise, a Power Squadron or USCG AUX boating safety course is a great first step.

Back
Top Bottom