question ; Weight belt vs integrated for drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing that I am not, for any reason, ditching weight at depth (in my DS, that equates to an orbital launch), my weight is fixed to my plate, and it is fixed to me.....

I tell my buddies, "cut me out on the surface, not at depth. Otherwise, you will embolize me, and yourself too if you ride along".

Its a cold harsh reality, but I understand it, and follow it.... I'm not risking a buckle opening.....

Seeing that I am not, for any reason, ditching weight at depth (in my DS, that equates to an orbital launch), my weight is fixed to my plate, and it is fixed to me.....

I tell my buddies, "cut me out on the surface, not at depth. Otherwise, you will embolize me, and yourself too if you ride along".

Its a cold harsh reality, but I understand it, and follow it.... I'm not risking a buckle opening.....
This is weak logic. You can perform a buoyant ascent very fast wo embolization. Just scream sheeeet all the way. Having some ditch able lead may save your like. Dropping 10 or 12 lbs will not send you up like a rocket, especially if you lean back and flair out.

I have a 4 pound short back plate, 4 pound weighted STA, dive with a can light which has a 4 pound battery, 2 backup lights weighing one pound a piece. Plus a steel HP 80 tank. I only need another 4 pounds at most for salt water diving in my drysuit.
I put those two in trim weights where I need them in my tank, or in dumpable weight pockets that are on my waist band.
I find since I went to my BP/wing that it is much more comfortable and gives me many more options for weighting with the drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom