question ; Weight belt vs integrated for drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm.. I have no more problem handing over integrated weights than I have handing over a weight belt - theire both ditchable. Infact I did so just last week..

Put enough lead on the belt to be neutrally buoyant without the rig (like you were skin diving). The rest can go on the tank. I dive St 72's which are nearly neutral so I can ditch and don fairly easily that way.

This would be an ideal case and I agree it should be the way to do it when possible. However, in colder water with thick undie and drysuit, it is not unreasonable for yourself to be 25+lb positive. Carrying this much weight on belt or even weight harness is either impossible for very uncomfortable. And if you dive double, your rig could be negative by itself even with empty tank (imagine double HP100). So the ideal may not be practical.

I would say put 8-10lb on belt, given that doesn't make your negative. This much of weight is managable on belt. Put the rest on your rig.

This would be an ideal case and I agree it should be the way to do it when possible. However, in colder water with thick undie and drysuit, it is not unreasonable for yourself to be 25+lb positive. Carrying this much weight on belt or even weight harness is either impossible for very uncomfortable. And if you dive double, your rig could be negative by itself even with empty tank (imagine double HP100). So the ideal may not be practical.

I would say put 8-10lb on belt, given that doesn't make your negative. This much of weight is managable on belt. Put the rest on your rig.
Weight belts in excess of 10lbs are comfortable and manageable. I am comfortable up to around 26 lbs or so

Weight belts in excess of 10lbs are comfortable and manageable. I am comfortable up to around 26 lbs or so

The weights you choose to put on the belt matter a lot to comfort too. Shaped / curved weights or soft weights will sit more comfortably.

I just came back from a trip wearing 30lbs in salt, 2 x 10 curved weights on the belt and 2 x 5 in trim. I found it quite comfortable.

Like Michael said, also don't over look a harness. Personally that's how I want to go with my dry suit, SS/BP/wing. I need around 30lbs of lead with my 4MM compressed neoprene dry suit a harness would be much more comfortable than a belt with that much lead.

Dang that's a lot of weight. Ever consider a more friendly drysuit?

I REALLY like the DUI harness. Weight is not on the waist. Check it out. It works well for me especially in cold salt water.

i use a belt but, I want a harness... if you get the right harness you have the option of dropping a few weights at a time which I personalty believe is safer, especially when you have 20 to 30lb on.... food for thought,

I have no more problem handing over integrated weights than I have handing over a weight belt
Me neither. In fact, I prefer handing over weight pockets. They're easier to remove, there's two of them which means that each pocket weighs half of what a belt would, and they have a very grip-friendly handle.

I dive dry with integrated weight pockets and routinely hand over my weights to the boatman (boatperson?) before climbing aboard. Especially when I'm diving from a small(ish) boat like a RIB, an inflatable dinghy or my 18-footer.

Weight plates (+10#) on my BP (+6#) is all I need with an HP120 (+11#) using my dry suit and heavy underwear (there is a slung 30 in the mix too).... though I'm likely near the limit of floating my rig with a 32# wing....

A weight belt can be dropped by accident. Integrated weights less easily (because they often have dual locking with clips and velcro).

You can drop half of the integrated weights (just one pocket) to make a somewhat slower ascent, or drop all the weight and reach for the stars (you'll get close). If you drop it all, you'll ascend fast, your suit does not empty fast enough, and there will be a LOT of bubbles around your face as the neck seal lets some gas out.

Back
Top Bottom