Question: What's an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scubabunny,

I would love to bare with you, but even though Barbara and I are Northern Californians, she might object! So, I will bear with you! And, Lord only knows what a middle American like Mr. Scubabunny might say!

At any rate, I am glad that someone else wonders why it is called that instead of, say, "monopus" or "snake".

Please note, Scubabunny, that, at the time I am writing this 85 souls have looked at this thread and have not come up with an answer! But, I am still betting on my "horse".

Joewr (the fully clothed)

bare...bear...whatever! hehe...guess that really didn't sound too good, did it!

Freudian slip?? "Mr. Scubabunny" has been gone for a week, and its been a looooooong week *sigh*. Guess my subconscious mind was on other things (not involving anyone in California...not that I have anything against Californians..ok..I'm babbling now!)

Think I'm just going to shut up now!

*goes and hides in her corner*

BTW...when are you guys coming to Guam?

Scubabunny,

The reservations are all made, the check is in the mail, and we are hot to trot! We will be on Guam from the 17th 'til the 22nd of March 2002. We are diving with "the other guys" for three days and scooting around the island the other days. We hope to hook up with Rooster and do a shore dive. And, of course, stop by your shop to meet, greet and buy a t-shirt--if you can bare it (blush).

Please arrange for some of those wonderful sunsets that Rooster so artfully photographed. I promised Barbara.

By the way, did Rooster tell you that he was raised about 10 miles from where I was raised? Amazing. Of course, I am somewhat longer of tooth than he...

Joewr

Jack,

How good are you feeling now? We have 109 visits to this thread so far and no one has told us why the "monopus" is called the octopus!

My "horse" needs to make a charge down the stretch! That bottle of Cabernet might just be gracing the Joewr table!

Joewr

Deep dark depression, excessive misery.....

Joewr, you are a real instigator. I would also have to ditto the beforementioned replies. It is just an arm off the 1st stage which makes it look like an octopus.

BTW, did you ever stop to think that you are a regulator in the regulator section regulating this thread? :whoa:

Must be all that cold water you dive in, Socaldiver! Well, if you guys think that looks like an octopus, I'll have to send you a picture one day.

I am not as technologically as advanced as you, so I cannot e-mail one! Well, you know that we folks who live near San Francisco just are not as close to front of the wave as you guys down south!

Joewr (who just got regulated from the south)

Joewr, I couldn't find it in any of my books either but here's my guess,
A single hose regulator looks a lot like an octopus with all the various hoses coming off the first stage. Compared to a twin hose regulator which did not have an alternate air source!Therefore the alternate air source aquired the "name " octopus.

Tavi

Tavi,

Did you ever read any Kipling?

Guesses do not count! I would like a little documentation. If you were closer to DC, I'd pay for a trip to the Library of Congress! We just have to answer this. Someone out there has been diving long enough to have heard the term when it was invented and knows the story.

If I get desperate, I know some guys who started diving when one could buy all one needed at a department store--there were not dive shops when these guys got started. But, they might give a bad time...(Not really: I just want to see if anybody here knows what the story is. And I am amazed at how long this is taking! There are one hell of a lot of extremely knowledgeable folks on this Board. I mean there are some guys and gals here who could write a damn good book on the subject!)

Joewr (who is anxiously awaiting the arrival of his grandson)

Funny you say that. We've actually been approached on the book idea To tell the truth... we do have a lot of good info already stock piled on our hard drives... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom