Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSODvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Cruising into COZ in April....Arrive at 0900 and leave at 6pm...Do I have time to take a ferry to the mainland and dive cenotes?

yes, don't know if they have that service through your cruise ship or if you have to do it on your own. Be very sure to contact the dive op you intend to use for the cenotes! There are dozens but they need to know you are coming, what gear you need, and what time to expect you. They will have to drive you into jungle to the cenotes, too, so remember that takes additional time. You may be cutting it a bit close on time, so do get it all set up in advance!

robin:D

Hi I dont think you are time wise on this one.
Arrive at 9am-off boat time 1hr.
10am-time to get to ferry 15-20mins, now say 10:30
Catch next ferry if lucky 11:00am- hit mainland 11:30,
11:30 try to meet up with dive op- half hour.
12:00 travel to closest cenote 20mins-12:30
12:30-do briefing and kit up-1hr, 1:30,
1:30-3:30 diving,
get the math, and this is on perfect timing, ever been to Mexico-
Pal my advice is to do a couple great drift dives and save the cenote try for a day when you leave late at night.
Give Opal an email at ScubaMaucozumel and she will make sure your day is a great day of diving. Have a great visit, kev

I agree with firstdive. You do not have a great deal of spare time to cope with any unforseen problems or delays.

If you have a group of fellow cruisers interested in diving, you certainly have time to arrange for a boat to take you out at a later than normal departure time. Hope it works out for you :D

Many cruise ships that stop on Cozumel also stop across the channel somewhere, too. A cenote dive from a stop over there would be easier to arrange.

I think given the choice between doing a 2 tank boat dive in coz on a cruise stop or trying to squeeze in a trip to the cenotes south of Playa I would opt for 2 dives while in Coz. When I was on a cruise once we had a day in coz and I did the 2 tank boat dive. Our next stop was supposed to be Costa Maya but it had been closed to cruise ships due to hurricane damage at the time so our cruise line had us in Playa the next day instead. We anchored off shore took the tender and booked a tour through Edventures which was a dive at Dos Ojos cenote near Tulum and a stop in Akumal for snorkeling. That tour got us back about an hour before the last tender to our ship. I agree with the other posts that to do the ferry from coz just would not allow you enough time to get it done and ferry back to coz.

Gaffer

Thanks guys....I've dove the coz sites several times and was looking for something different, but I think it might pressing to try the cenotes while cruising into Coz... I'll save it for my next SCC trip...

When we went to Dos Ojos (which is reasonably close to Playa del Carmen), we had about a 12-hour day all told. We caught the 0700 ferry which had us in the water at Dos Ojos at 1120. Our second dive ended at 1420.

There were fairly quick stops for breakfast tacos at Tacos el Arbolito and for lunch at Taco Paco (now across the highway from each other at Puerto Aventuras) and we did spend some time at the shop afterward having a CD of photos burned.

We got back to the island on the ferry right around 1900 and felt pretty beat.

It's probably theoretically possible. Sounds as if you've already thought better of it, but like others I can't imagine cutting things that close when my hotel might leave without me.

Our dives at Dos Ojos last summer didn't start on time and we ended up on the last bus back to Playa from Hidden Worlds. I think we didn't get back to Cozumel until about 7:30pm. We did a morning trip to the Tulum Ruins though. It could be done if everything went on time for you but it would be a full day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom