Questions about building my own spool.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
I have access to a machine shop and am planning to build my own dive spool and eventually my own reel. I know Halcyon makes their spools out of delron (sp?), but I plan making mine out of ionized aluminum. Are there any unforseen problems with doing this? Please respond. Thanks.

jaYson

Aluminum will corrode in salt water. Delrin or UHMW would be better unless you want to make it just to make it (been there, done that)

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
Aluminum will corrode in salt water. Delrin or UHMW would be better unless you want to make it just to make it (been there, done that)

Aren't the Manta reels made out of aluminium? I just spent alot of money on one, please dont't tell me it's gonna corrode.

taat2d once bubbled...

Aren't the Manta reels made out of aluminium? I just spent alot of money on one, please dont't tell me it's gonna corrode.

My reel is also mostly aluminum, but its coated or anodized and, like yours, will be okay as long as you take care of it. Raw, or untreated alum will corrode unless its treated somehow after machining.

MD

It will also depend on the grade of Al used, the 5000 series resist saltwater corrosion fairly well.

Delrin would be my choice as its relatively inexpensive and easy to mill. Drill some holes and put it on a lathe - should be quick and easy :)

If you are a keen DIYer, home anodizing isn't that tricky. You need a car battery charger and a bucket of battery acid. Well, there is a bit more to it but there is loads on the net about it:

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Untreated aluminium wont exactly rot away while you are using it. If you rinse it well it lasts ages.

My reel is also mostly aluminum, but its coated or anodized and, like yours, will be okay as long as you take care of it. Raw, or untreated alum will corrode unless its treated somehow after machining.

MD

Oh ok I thought you meant ALL aluminum would corrode. As far as taking care of things. That's definitely not a problem. Spent too much money not to treat my gear good. Like the rest of us. LOL

Thanx MD.

Wow ... that's an awesome price ... but what's with the date (2001)?

I bought 2 of these spools from AUL last month, Price is good at $5 ea and they came with line and a double ended brass snap.

Back
Top Bottom