Questions about history of octos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@roakey (old but not bold diver)
(and certainly does not know his dive history )
@CharlieDontDive fyi

1959 - US Divers
Page 8

US Divers float
#2241 $8.95

Aqua Safe jacket
#2242 $14.95

1961 Sportsways
Page 2 &3

Sportsways Navy Unit Water Lung
Part #1315
$95.00
(regulator with built in J reserve)

SPG (aka Sea vue) could also be purchased
Part # 1316
$120.00

Total price $215.00

VS
US Diver 1010 Aqua Master …$90.00
US Diver 1008 Mistral...$ 65.00
US Diver 1020 Jet Air ….$50.00

Sam Miller. III

CC'
@Akimbo

@Marie13 CE-- It all began in Sunny WARM California

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-4_9-24-50.png
    upload_2019-9-4_9-24-50.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 94
Indicated first used by cave divers in 1970s

It was on the market via Sportsways and being used in Kalifornia in early 1961
I was one who had and used a Sportsways Navy Unit in 1961
Complete with SPG''

SDM

Hey I have that book! It is the first book I ever read on scuba as a kid. I just reread it, good stuff.

That was the book that was used for training. There were some chapters we didn't cover, the only one I can remember not covering was marine life or dangerous marine life, don't recall what else; I was looking forward to it is why I remember. Nothing wrong with the physics part of that book along with the formulas, some things don't change no matter how much "progress" is made.

That was the book that was used for training. There were some chapters we didn't cover, the only one I can remember not covering was marine life or dangerous marine life, don't recall what else; I was looking forward to it is why I remember. Nothing wrong with the physics part of that book along with the formulas, some things don't change no matter how much "progress" is made.
This was my dad's book. He got certified in about 63 by a navy instructor to be on a local EMS and rescue team in Maryland at the time. I don't think he ever dove again after joining the army, but I remember reading through the book asking him If I could do scuba around age 12 or so.

This was my dad's book. He got certified in about 63 by a navy instructor to be on a local EMS and rescue team in Maryland at the time. I don't think he ever dove again after joining the army, but I remember reading through the book asking him If I could do scuba around age 12 or so.

The 2 instructors that trained us in 1968 were both working public school teachers. One taught a class I took in Jr. high (middle school) in 67 and 68; I wasn't old enough to dive, back then it was 16 years old, I was 13 the 1st year 14 the 2nd. I tortured that poor soul! Three days a week it was, "please Mr. teacher I can pass the swimming part, I've been snorkeling since I was 10 every summer"! "You can keep the money if I can't pass the swimming, please Mr. Teacher". The 1st day of the 2nd year when he saw me in his class again he kept me after class and asked point blank if I was still interested in learning to dive and if I intended to drive him crazy all this year if he said no again. I said " yes I am and yes I will". He shock his head and said "we have a class starting in April if your folks sign the waivers and you pay the fee we'll teach you how to dive". That was just what they did. :)

A year or so after training I joined the Bay State Frogmen at the time it was ex-navy divers, quahog divers, and other sorts of rough spoken but knowledgeable men. That was a learning experience for diving and beyond!

These guys went OOA to achieve max BT time, to the point water got in their tanks! Ascending while buddy breathing got to be part of diving after awhile. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for all the c-cards money could buy!

@roakey (old but not bold diver)
(and certainly does not know his dive history )
Yhea, whatever, I'll just let you follow tursiops link to the NOAA Diving Manual 4th edition review that was posted. Make sure you get right on it and correct their mistakes.

I think you're confusing vests (now called snorkling vests) with BCDs.

My Dacor vest had a CO2 cartridge in it - the vest was for surface use only.

O2

Vest similar to my original with oral and CO2 inflator:

s-l1600.jpg

Poodle jacket (sorry, couldn't resist :)) AKA BCD:

Wave_BCD_Front.jpg

Indicated first used by cave divers in 1970s

It was on the market via Sportsways and being used in Kalifornia in early 1961
I was one who had and used a Sportsways Navy Unit in 1961
Complete with SPG''

SDM
I'm not surprised that the military was ahead of the curve in this case.

Roak

It's only been very recently that anyone told me I "must" have an octopus, and then rarely. Most of the time they just say, "Oh, you don't have an octopus" or some such thing. Recently someone didn't like my detachable octopus so I attached another second stage to satisfy them. They also told me that an octopus is now required in all of the marine parks in Mexico but I don't know exactly when that became law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom