Questions about Poseidon regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering what the difference is between the Xtreme, Jetstream, and Cyklon?
Are there any new Poseidon reg models that are still upstream valves?
Why is the Cyklon cheaper than the other two?
Is it worth it to get the metal Cyklon?
What is a Cyklon 5000 as opposed to a regular Cyklon?
Are they hard to work on?
Can a diver get parts on their own through contraband sources easily enough?
I heard they're unbelievably smooth and great breathers, is that true?
How bullet proof are they?

Both the current Xstream and Jetstream are. I believe but am not positive a Cyklon is downstream.
Quick summary of the differences here: http://www.poseidon.com/sites/all/files/regulators_prodsheet_130909-low1.pdf
Detailed comparison chart: http://www.poseidon.com/sites/all/files/regulator_spec.pdf

I have a 1982 Jetstream and a 2008 Atomic T2. Although they breathe differently, I'm not sure one is better than the other at delivering air.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the difference is between the Xtreme, Jetstream, and Cyklon?
I have had Poseidon regulators for years, specifically Cyclon's.

The Cyclon's are down stream valves, like most others.
The Jetstream and Xtreme are upstream valves.

In particular the Jetstream and Xtreme can give a very fierce delivery of air, especially if you are unfamiliar with them.
Both the Jetstream and Xtreme can be tricky if you purge them when out of air. More so the Jetstream because of its larger volume, the high through put of air can force any water in the regulator down the back of your throat.
Ideally tilt the exhaust down when you hit the purge, so that you force the air to the top of the regulator and the water down and out of the valve exhaust valve rather and down your throat! Then be cautious on the next inhale, any water still in the regulator will bounce of your tonsils :).
If you are teaching OOA skills with people using jetstream's it’s not unusual to see a lot of coughing during the purging!
Also pushing the purge in on a Jetstream takes quite a lot of force, those unfamiliar with the valve often don't press hard enough, some its a two handed operation. The cover over the diaphragm is almost solid plastic.

That said they give excellent air delivery, especially at depth.
During the 80's, when Trimix and Nitrox was very rare, and most regulators had quite high work of breathing (would fail the modern ANSTI test), Poseidon’s where the regulator of choice for those doing deep air diving.

Jetstream's and I suspect Xtreme's will start to free flow if you run low on gas, at around 10-20 bar (150-300psi). They use the intermediate pressure to close the valve (being upstream valves).

Cyclon's are more conventional.
They are pretty bullet proof as long as they are in use, a wet soggy cyclone will keep going for years, and a dry one that wasn't cleaned will probably free flow. They do need cleaning out after use, but the second stage is easy to service and maintain. They where certainly the favored by cave divers for years because they could be stripped down easily in the field if required. In fact cave divers often used to strip the diaphragm’s in water if they had dragged them through tight silty crawl ways clogging them up.

One great advantage is that they are bi-directional. With the Diaphragm on the end they can rotate on the hose and be breathed in almost any orientation.

They are a love / hate regulator.
If you can see if you can try a set before committing. Also, make sure your buddy gets some practice doing OOA drills so they get used to them!
In fact as an aside, irrespective of regulator type, get your buddy to test breath and test purge from the AAS during the buddy check. (One of the good practices from GUE is the drill at 6m testing reg's on the descent at the start of the dive).

I'm sure a Poseidon tech will be along to pick up any errors I have made. Look forward to the comments from the Poseidon faithful :).

Gareth J

Last edited:

1. Xstream and Jetstream are pilot assisted, semi-upstream designs, functionally identical for the regulator internals.
Cyklon is standard downstream design
2. see above, the Xstream and Jetstream require OPV's on either the hose or the first stage to prevent hose failures, require a certain IP to stop freeflowing *you hear a big whoosh when you pressurize them*, but at high enough IP, will start to leak.
3. The Cyklon is almost 60 years old, Jetstream is only about 30, Xstream about 15 *don't quote me on years*, the Cyklon also has a lot less parts in the second stage, and now it uses a very old first stage design vs the MK3 in the Jetstream/Xstream, and the MK3 is a brilliant first stage
4. Cyklon 5000 is plastic housing, Cyklon 300 is metal
5. no, but you need a vice to get the retaining ring back in the hockey puck of the Cyklon, and ideally a pair of custom forceps to adjust the Jetstream/Xstream. The forceps are available for about $25 from Northeast Scuba Supply. On the older first stages, like the ones coming with the Cyklons, you need a 27mm wrench that has been ground down to get the top caps off. Other than that it is standard allen keys and that's about it.
6. no need for contraband, they are freely available. DRiS has all of the parts if you call for them, DGX has them on their website
7. The Cyklon set the gold standard but requires a very high IP 165 vs 135 of standard regulators, and the Jetstream/Xstream work on a quite low IP of 125 or less. The cracking pressure of the Jetstream/Xstream is higher than most other regulators, but WoB is effortless. They all have a very violent purge though.
8. Ask the sump divers in the UK, the metal Cyklons are still being used over there for their durability, and are more durable than any second stage on the market. I dive Jetstreams personally which are quite robust as well but can't be cleaned as easily if you're muck diving. The Xstreams are the least durable of the bunch, but are also the smallest/lightest, and are on par with any other second stage for durability.

They all are non-directional which is nice for sidemount/stage/deco bottles, unlike the Apeks XTX which require parts to be reversed, you can simply flip them upside-down. Also nice for OOA situations where instead of creating an S between you and the OOA diver, you can flip the second stage up-side-down and it is good for an extra foot or so of hose vs. a normal regulator in this situation. Also allows you to swim next to each other without the hose having to make a 180* bend, very convenient. They breathe best when the diaphragm is down, but when the diaphragm is straight up they get a bit stiff. Won't leak nearly as bad as normal regulators when inverted though. The Jetstream has a dive-predive switch which raises the diaphragm off of the servo valve which is great for DPV/High current use to prevent freeflows, the other two do not, but it is also significantly larger, so pros and cons.

I love my Jetstreams and couldn't imagine using any other reg. My buddy says he would rather drown than breathe off of them because he likes his regs to breathe for him. His Hog's are set up so where if he loosens the pressure on his lips, it will start freeflowing. None of the Poseidons will do that, and I greatly appreciate it, he hates it.

Only thing I'll say is be informed on the cost of servicing and who is capable of servicing. I ended up moving after buying my Cyklons and couldn't find anyone to service them. Had to ship them away for servicing for a while until I again moved to somewhere they could be serviced.

His Hog's are set up so where if he loosens the pressure on his lips, it will start freeflowing. None of the Poseidons will do that, and I greatly appreciate it, he hates it.

Indeed. After diving only Cyklons for a while, it took a while to get used to all the low WOB regulators that felt like they were forcing air down my throat.

it's not so much the low WoB, the Poseidons are capable of lower WoB than the other regs, but it's the higher cracking pressure that gets most people. With the Jetstreams and Xstreams, if you hit your inflator while you're inhaling, you can notice a significantly lower WoB as the IP is lower. Same if you have two second stages on the same first stage and you inhale at the same time.

I got a Cyklon 300 in a pile of gear I picked and had a tech go through it, along with a long chat about servicing them, so I'll probably give it a go next time. It is defiantly a vintage rig being first designed and built in 1958.

It is pretty a sweet rig and I'm thinking on picking up another and dumping a couple of my other rigs. I haven't got the hoses sorted out the way I want them yet. The hoses are metric and getting adapters to use standard hoses is harder than with the new Poseidon regs. The Poseidon hoses are not cheap and with the 300 some can be out of stock and in limited lengths.

Let me know if our schedules can line up for a dive and you can try it out.

Bob

if you decide you want to ditch it, let me know, looking for another couple metal cyklons for deco/stage regs.

The 300 first stage is unbalanced so keep that in mind and is part of the stupid high IP requirements for the Cyklon. 185 on that vs 165 on a balanced first stage. You can get metric to imperial adapters for the first stage, and you can also get an omni-swivel hose adapter, but they are unfortunately rather expensive. Generally not worth it unfortunately

What about running a Cyklon 300 on an Xtreme or Jetstream 1st? does anybody do that since the metal Cyklon is kinda cool being metal and also more abuse resistant for beach dives etc.
I suppose they would have to be detuned to match the lower IP of the balanced 1st's.
But then I kinda like unbalanced stuff, simple with a built-in low air warning.

Bob, I've been super busy lately but we should maybe hit Stillwater or Gerstle before the winter storms really hit.
I'd like to try out the Cyklon.
I'm thinking of dumping several regs sets I have accumulated, including an almost brand new Hog set up. It's a fine reg but it's a little meh to me, nothing really special about it in my imagination.
That's where the Poseidon kinda has me under a spell right now, being the history of it and all. At just under $700 it's between a Poseidon or a Kraken. In the back of my mind I'm hoping I'll get over it soon or I'm going to be spending money whether I like it or not. Here we go again!
I need another reg like a hole in my head, but when it comes to addictions sometimes we are powerless against it.
If I like the Cyklon maybe I'll search fleabay and keep an eye out. I hear they really haven't changed much in almost 60 years.

Poseidon doesn't recommend running the IP on the MK3 up where the Cyklon requires it and the Cyklons breathe like **** at lower IP because they are unbalanced second stages.

The biggest issue with Cyklons on ebay is if you get the older first stages, they have the metric hoses, adapters are a bitch and you can't get those hoses anymore. Cyklons still require custom regulator hoses from Poseidon or the omni-swivel adapter as the cheap adapters haven't come out yet like they have for the Jetstream/Xstream *which we should all thank Poseidon for using the same hose adapter for those*.

If I were you, I'd go Kraken over Cyklon if you're in backmount, and vice versa for sidemount. It's a no brainer for me, and I love Poseidons....

Back
Top Bottom