Questions about Poseidon regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So tbone, explain the 'cracking pressure' feature/quirk of the Poseidon's...

if they are tuned improperly they will be a bit fiesty at above 20ft...

Three idiosyncrasies:

1. The Jetstream/Odin actually "chatters" at shallow depths if you're breathing normally. The chatter is in the 2nd stage. You can hear it, and your teeth can feel the vibrations.

2. In very cold water the Jetstream actually delivers small pieces of ice into your mouth. Evidently, ice forms on the "balloon" or "condom" inside the 2nd stage, and then breaks apart when the balloon collapses as you breathe. Veteran Jetstream divers are entertained by watching new Jetstream divers when they first sense bits of ice in their mouths. The new diver imagines his regulator is disintegrating. Deep on a shipwreck. Facing a decompression obligation. At least, I know a couple of "friends" who got quite a laugh at my expense!

3. There is an OEM optional rubber cap, or hood, that can be purchased and zip-tied over the cone-shaped side of the first stage (the side where the diaphragm is normally exposed to the environment). Some divers fill this cap with spirits before placing it on the 1st stage, to isolate the diaphragm from the surrounding water, to increase the 1st stage's resistance to freezing up. Sometimes utilized when diving *really* cold water. Then, at the end of a dive trip, these intrepid divers actually remove this cap and drink the spirits, toasting the dive trip.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

1. Yes, but most veteran Jetstream divers I know have no issues with that by starting with a pretty quick inhale. If you sip on it they will chatter. Very annoying

2. Yes, this is hilarious, what is also fun is passing your reg to your buddy under these conditions and watching him look very perplexed.

3. MK3 doesn't require this, but yes, commonly filled with vodka. Have never felt the need for this, especially with doubles. Where inflation and breathing duties can be separated, but is most important not to inflate while inhaling, and then not to breathe while on the surface if the reg is wet. I don't bother with them personally as they are fairly irritating imho and the regs offer good enough freeze resistance without them. I would only use them if I was spending a lot of time at the surface where I needed to use the inflator or regulator. Makes cold water treatments a bitch.

the dive rites go for wicked amounts of money as they were the only black MK3 first stages produced. The Sherwood Ultimas are in fact Jetstreams.

Not sure why the Dive Rite ones sell for a lot of money when DGX was discounting them heavily to move them several years ago. The Sherwood seconds are Jetstreams the firsts are Sherwood. Also didn't Abyss also do something with Poseidon?

I assume it's because they're the only used ones you are seeing with the MK3 first stages so they are going for about 2x what the regular Jetstream sets are selling for. I usually buy Jetstream/3960 for $100 or so, the Dive Rites are regularly going for $250

Hello Eric,

I am a member of the Poseidon fan club. For about 8 years in the 70s and early 80s, I dove servo-assisted side exhaust regs (Teknas and Omegas) and they were indeed the reg of choice for all advanced deep wreck divers here in S.Fla. At the time, I did not know about the Poseidon brand. The breathing characteristics of these servo regs were incredible amounts of gas delivered at any pressure and depth and effort. You could just not over-breathe these regs. They got better and better at depth and I dove them to 250' on air, on wrecks, in strong currents, and always had abundant gas supply. Regular regs just did not compare. They did have quirks. The Teknas would "chatter" shallower than 30' because of the design, and the Omegas were "wet" breathers because of how the exhaust was located, but that was easily managed and they were oh so worth it for deeper dives.

My gear was stolen in the late 90s. I rented for a while and about seven years ago replaced my gear. Teknas and Omegas were long gone and I did not know servo regs still existed, so I got Apeks XTX 100s. Very nice breathers, to be sure. About 2-3 years ago, Hollis announced the return of a servo reg, based on an updated Omega design. When I looked into it, I discovered Poseidon and that I could have had servo all along! So, I started considering a switch. I liked the Poseidon Xtream second stage much better than the Hollis, as it was smaller and lighter. Also liked it better than the Jetstream. Finally, because I deal with a lot of current, I liked the exhaust point to the side and rearward, so never any issues with freeflow. Also, I thought the Poseidon Mk3 first stage was a masterpiece.

I went ahead and took the plunge. Got a Single Tank long hose Xtream set-up from DGX. Two dives later, my Apeks were sold (thanks Scubaboard!!).

They breathed like a dream, like my old regs, but without the idiosyncrasies. No chatter in shallow water. Really, really dry breathing. Incredible gas delivery at depth or under heavy workload. Just like I remember.

However, these do take getting used to. It does take a slight effort to crack them, but then they will basically "push" air at you. If you really suck on them it will be like a hurricane! And, everything in between depending on how you want to control them. I have never seen a reg that allows me more conscious control over my breathing. On a leisurely reef drift, I can sip air with slow, easy breaths. In a current on a wreck, I can crank the effort and inhale deep and hard and will get all the gas I could ever want. The side exhaust is nice as well. Clearing them is, well, nothing because they hold almost no water at all in the second stage, a simple small exhale and the water is gone. I can't imagine actually having to purge one.

Maybe because I was so used to them, but my gas consumption improved noticeably right away. I will say, that there is not as dramatic a difference between them and modern traditional regs (my wife's S600 is a great reg and she still prefers it to my Poseidon), but, if you take the time to really master them, they are still my favorite.

As for which one to get, I prefer the Xtream due to its second stage design. Just my preference. DGX has great prices on packages for single or double tanks.

Back
Top Bottom