Questions After Free Intro to Scuba Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PUFFY_SANCHEZ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!

Every since I decided I was going to get certified last month, I have been doing research on scuba, equipment, certifications, etc. Last week, I noticed a local certifier was offering a free intro to scuba class. I tried it last night and I really didn't enjoy it. I had significant issues with bouyancy and my ears were constantly hurting. I continuously was holding my nose and trying to keep my ears from popping. I left the intro class pretty upset because this has been someone I wanted to do forever.

My fears are that I am only going to be diving one or twice a year and figuring out buoyancy is something that takes a lot of time and practice. In your experiences, did it take you a long time to figure out bouyancy. My fear is I have a bounyancy problem at 60 feet. It was stressful enough in the pool. Maybe I am worrying too much, but I have read about the risks and know what could happen.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the scubaboard!
Buoyancy does take time to learn but please don't give up so soon. One evening in the pool is not enough. Remember, it was only an introduction to scuba. You are not expected to know how to control anything with just a 1 hour class.
Steve

Not being an instructor, my intereptation of the class and never really having gone through it is that it is meant to show you what it feels like to be in scuba gear and stay under water that is all it does it does not really teach you much detail wise let alone how to control any of the necessary skills. Best thing to do is to take the full class then decide bear in mind what you put into this is what you will get out of it

Everyone has somekind bouyancy issues, and it takes a lot of practice to get bouyancy down. Someday I have my bouyancy spot on, and some days I am struggling bad enough to end the dive.

One thing to consider is the deeper you go the easier it is to control buoyancy. This is because the percentage change in pressure decreases with depth. When in the pool you are always near the surface, so air in your BCD expands and contracts much more so than at depth. The closer you are to the surface the more likely you can get an uncontrolled ascent, which is bad for DCS. I'm not saying you should be more at ease when deep, as obviously there is much more water above you. But once you master buoyancy near the surface, buoyancy at depth is a piece of cake. Those SB members way higher in the food chain than I will give some great tips, I'm sure. I can say that proper weighting is the way to start. In our classes we have two standard weight belts used for the pool (and checkout dives)-8 pounds or 12. So nobody is really weighted exactly right. The other thing is to add & release air to the BC in very short bursts and wait a few seconds to notice the chance as there is always a delay.

Last edited:
Intro to SCUBA classes often do more harm than good, in my opinion. You aren't going to develop good buoyancy control in an intro class like that. It takes time and quite frankly, you have too many things thrown at you all at once to get anything right. Skills need to be broken down in smaller steps than you have time for in one of those classes. It also sounds like you have misunderstood a critical point. You need for your ears to "pop" or equalize pressure to stop them from hurting. You want to encourage them to pop, you shouldn't be trying to stop it. Look around for class that will take things slowly with you. Look here for questions to ask to find such a class.

Intro to SCUBA classes often do more harm than good, in my opinion. You aren't going to develop good buoyancy control in an intro class like that. It takes time and quite frankly, you have too many things thrown at you all at once to get anything right. Skills need to be broken down in smaller steps than you have time for in one of those classes. It also sounds like you have misunderstood a critical point. You need for your ears to "pop" or equalize pressure to stop them from hurting. You want to encourage them to pop, you shouldn't be trying to stop it. Look around for class that will take things slowly with you. Look here for questions to ask to find such a class.

Sorry I meant keep my ear drums from popping. I was constantly trying to get my ears to pop. I was swallowing, holding my nose and blowing, tried wiggling my jaw too. Nothing would really work.

Sounds to me like you were given a real crappy intro. Scuba diving is not supposed to be painful - you should have been made to understand that you should not have continued if you have not equalised your ears. "trying to keep my ears from popping" - I expect this is a typo. In fact, popping (equalising) is the sensation you get when your ears equalise and is desireable. It would make matters even worse if this had not been explained to you. Inability to equalise on any given day could be due to something as mundane as stuffiness from a recent cold. You would then just try again another day. There are also some techniques (not force) that sometimes work with stubborn ears.

Buoyancy control is not difficult but takes a little practice. It is a skill you should get in any well run course. In fact, buoyancy control is a significant part of the fun in diving. You would not be expected to master this in an intro.

If you really want to dive, look for another 'try dive' opportunity. Try and find a patient and 'not rushed' instructor (judge by how they answer your queries). If you decide to do a course, due yourself a favour and try and find one that is comprehensive. Usually, these are longer (hours of tutoring) and may even be more expensive. Also, somewhere on SB is a sticky advising on how to choose an instructor.

Intro. classes are a great idea, but they only provide enough time to give the participant the basics to get them under the water and breathing off a regulator. If gives people that are on the fence a chance to try before you buy. Things like buoyancy control need more practice than that, and that is what the class is for. The class will get you more comfortable with the gear and breathing which helps buoyancy. Other things that were mentioned like proper weighting play a big role in buoyancy, as well as depth. The other thing you mentioned was your ears hurting, and in the class you will learn the procedure for preventing this. My advice would be to take the full class.

As everyone stated buoyancy does take some practice. I have just over 60 dives and I feel that I have a pretty good feel for buoyancy. I was once in your shoes that I didn't think I'd ever get it down. As far at the clearing of ears. Try holding your nose and swallowing. That seem to work better for me at first. Now it seems that equalizing is also like second nature. If it hurts at first, try accending a little (only a foot or two) and trying again.

Don't give up on just one night of intro. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom