Questions for Ex-NAVY Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems a bit binary - jumping in his stuff vs "lying to him."

You are in the New Divers Forum: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Seconded!

I'm not jumping in his stuff. I'm giving him the unvarnished truth of what military service will be like, from 14 years of experience living it.

If you think THIS is "jumping in his stuff", just wait until Chief Petty Officer in charge of his basic training decides to REALLY jump in his "stuff". It'll make this little conversation seem like pillow talk...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

He stated in his original post that he was a PADI instructor aka "not a new diver". He asked what the path to Navy diver was like, then jumped down T.C.'s throat when the response wasn't what he wanted to hear. Caveat emptor.

-Adrian

I'm a retired Chief Torpedoman (25 Years). In 1986 I was stationed at Navy Occupational Data and Analysis Center NODAC NMPC 6. My job was to extract a SEAL, EOD and Diver rating from the eligible ratings at the time. The reason for this was that sailors qualified in these specialties were getting the majority of E-7/8/9 promotions and these communities had no control on advancement within the community itself. One year for example there were 14 HTCM billets to be filled and each one of them was filled by a Diver. The regular HT's were a little miffed. The Navy Enlisted Classification Code (NEC) system for Divers and EOD already was a basic Rating System so it was easy for them. SEAL's were the issue. I transferred before all of this was completed as it takes years and lots of in-fighting especially when people think they are going to lose money.
As has been stated a recruiter can ONLY promise you a one time physical testing after that it passes on to the school command and rating detailers. These dive classes stay full and you may get right in or you may wait for months or years. I worked with many a salvor during my days and they all told me all Navy Diving is done by braille. So if you can handle cold, dark muddy places diving for aircraft some pilot parked in a river some place have at it. Navy divers are not SPORT divers. These guys work in some of the most dangerous places on earth. Who do you think they experiment on when working on dive tables, getting bent, some of them severely. Who do they put in a pool filled with two semi-truck loads of ice to test new wet suits for SEAL teams going on a mission under the ice, a Navy Diver. NAVY Diving is not for pansies. The stories I could tell but then I would have to kill myself.

The US Navy was extraordinarily good to me. I worked hard AND was very fortunate. I served on the deep submersible Trieste II as a Second Class diver and on the Mark II Deep Dive System as a First Class and Saturation Diver. The Navy was the world leader in deep diving technology at the time, but the commercial diving industry soon surpassed them and continues to today.

If you have not already, I encourage you to read through the commercial diving forum here on Scubaboard. It will give you a sense of the work done underwater, which also relates to Navy diving performed under the Supervisor of Salvage. This is very different work from Special Forces (SEALs) and EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal).

You can also download the US Navy Diving Manual here on Scubaboard: US Navy Diving Manual Rev. 6 with Change A This is worth doing for any recreational diving instructor.

I don’t know where you are located, but you can learn a lot by buying a few drinks. It isn’t too hard to find a Navy diving command and locate their favorite bar, usually not far outside the gate! Expect to get some “hairy-chested deep sea diver” crap initially, but there’s a good chance someone will see that you’re really interested and tell you more than you will ever learn from the Internet. With luck, you can get a tour. Definitely try to visit EDU (Experimental Diving Unit) if you are anywhere near the Florida Panhandle. That is also where the diving school is.

It sounds like you are trying to make a decision that would affect the rest of your life. Visit commercial diving schools while you are at it. It is worth doing a little travel even if you decide to take another path. You will learn things that will be of interest even if you stay in the recreational end of the business.

Last edited:
Gee TC, between all your *"Quotations"* and tough guy act, you almost actually helped me!

I understand that you don't just sign a piece of paper and get the job. I'm not pretending that I fully comprehend the physical demands and dedication it takes to get this ranking, but who are you judge what I'm made of without ever meeting me? I've got the dedication to earn this if given a fair shot, I just got to know this is worth fighting for. I did however notice that your page has you listed as US Army NOT US Navy, with less than 500 dives, so unless you magically changed branches in the past 24 hours, I'd appreciate it if you'd let someone whose actually been through this training respond. Cheers'

---------- Post added January 29th, 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

Ok, so say I pass the Physical test. Could I then get a slot in the school in a written guarantee from the recruiter or would those select few admissions be handled by the Diver administering the tests from those that passed the initial examination?

With this receptive attitude you will no doubt have a STELLAR Navy career...as a cook.

Cooks are actually overmanned...he's more likely to be selected as a hull tech....in other-words he will get to un clog the crappers...and maybe weld something someday.

Cooks are actually overmanned...he's more likely to be selected as a hull tech....in other-words he will get to un clog the crappers...and maybe weld something someday.

So this navy guy was always telling people his brother was a male prostitute. When someone pointed out he knew his brother was in the navy he replied "Yeah but he's a hull tech, I was too embarrassed to tell anyone"

So this navy guy was always telling people his brother was a male prostitute. When someone pointed out he knew his brother was in the navy he replied "Yeah but he's a hull tech, I was too embarrassed to tell anyone"

That is funny!!

And they say this is the flame-free zone...

Neither a new diver, nor a basic scuba topic. not really even close to either. Might be the thread was started in the wrong section, but the responses were certainly appropriate to the OP's question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom