Quick connects for connecting while UW Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squid88

Registered
Reaction score
Please be gentle I'm new here
Well I've lurked for awhile but first time post.
Hopefully this is the best place to post this.

I am looking for the best option overall for some LP quick connect DESO (Double end shut off, allowing for connect / disconnect while underwater) fittings.

I currently use Tema which are easily available in Oz but are about $120AUD per set and require adapters. I'm gong to need about 5 pairs plus adapters etc.

Is there anything better then the Tema?
UNF threaded, more streamlined and same price or cheaper (landed) then Tema would be ideal.

I am aware of the QC6 and I've heard of Parker and Cjen offering suitable DESO models but not sure what models they are nor how they would compare size, price and availability wise.

I found a website in Europe where a place sells the QC6 with scuba threads ( whoohoo! ) and apparently not re-threaded but supplied by Swaglok that way. They are way more expensive then Tema though (booooo!) and I'm not sure if they are available anywhere else. Does anyone know? They seem like they may be longer then a Tema with adapters too?
I would take fatter fitting over longer fitting.

I've thought about carpet cleaning quick connects. They are; DESO, high pressure, readily available and cheap but no idea if they would flow enough air at depth. If I can't find UNF threaded compact fittings at least these would be no bigger and way cheaper, if they would work. Anyone know?

I've spent the last 3 days trying to find descent alternative options and it's doing my head in. So any insight or info is very much apreciated.

One thing I know is this board is a wealth of information so hopefully someone will know.

Thank you all in advance.

Just for my education, what do you use these things for?

do you need shutoff on both sides?

If you don't have a shutoff on both sides you can't disconnect it underwater without leaking. OmniSwivel doesn't sell a real DESO, they pair a checkvalve with it but you're getting a significant amount more water than say a QC6.

I currently use Tema which are easily available in Oz but are about $120AUD per set and require adapters. I'm gong to need about 5 pairs plus adapters etc.

Roughly $94/set is a reasonable price for a quick disconnect set once you've included fittings and whatnot.

Is there anything better then the Tema?

Debatable and typically depends on price. Lower water inclusion but 4x the cost?

Well I definitely want to minimise water intrusion so I'll pay extra for that.

So far it seems like BSP threaded fittings with UNF adapters are the easiest way to go.

Also seems for availability etc Tema are in the lead.

Does anyone know what Parker DESO fittings some people use? I've just heard Parker but no model number and nothing is in their catalogue specific to diving nor DESO air.

I'm surprised there's not scuba native thread streamlined DESO fittings readily avaialable.

I don't know what the fittings are called but AP sells a proprietary quick disconnect that I like very much.

Does anyone know what Parker DESO fittings some people use? I've just heard Parker but no model number and nothing is in their catalogue specific to diving nor DESO air.

Look up Snap-Tite 71 fittings. 0.01mL water inclusion. For comparison a QC6 has 1mL. Looking at $200+ for a set (male/female) and that's without any 3/8" NPSF to UNF adapters.

Look up Snap-Tite 71 fittings. 0.01mL water inclusion. For comparison a QC6 has 1mL. Looking at $200+ for a set (male/female) and that's without any 3/8" NPSF to UNF adapters.

Thanks Josh that's great info.

I was Speaking with Randy at Piranha but all they have is the omniswivel with one way valve. I'm not sure how much water these let in? They also only have 1lb check valve so I'm thinking it would not take much pressure to ingress (depth change or high current /surge). Price is good but they also use an inflation hose which I suspect has inadequate flow (but I've emailed to find out about)

How pedantic should I be about water ingress diving salt water? For some application it would be mid hose gas change connection to a second stage. Other it will be gas exchange prior to a gas switch block.

Getting 1 ml here or there; to me means I'd have to soak and flush the lines, switch-block reg etc and then push dry air through after every use. Likely servicing and lubing o rings on in increased frequency. Is that right? Or just flush through a bit of water dry and service annually?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom