Quick poll—When do you inflate your SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using it regularly only when leading groups at Maldives. At the times (in the eighties) there were no depth limits, and we were usually in deco mode, with the first stop planned at 6m. Always using US Navy tables.
Our procedure was to consider the time for coming up as part of the bottom time, stopping it at the first deco stop.so I was deploying the buoy (which, at the time, was spherical), when still at 8 or 9 meters, and then asking the customers to level at 6m. The dhoni did reach the buoy and release the deco kit; two buoys carrying an horizontal rod at 3m, with two additional air tanks hanging down at 6m.
Often some customer was low on air, and they needed to use the additional tanks for completing the deco.
It was not an entirely safe procedure,, seen with today's standards...

Curious, do you inflate your surface marker buoy before you start your safety stop or during your safety stop?

Experienced divers, before or during?

Thanks
I am not experienced but when I use a large DSMB I inflate it usually before ascent because it won’t be inflated fully if I inflate it at a shallow depth.

If I am using a small DSMB, I do either: if you do it at safety stop and you need to signal your boat it may be better to do it early if you may move during your safety stop. I guess you’d not use a small DSMB then.

For us, the only time we don't deploy a dsmb is if we're coming up a line.

No hard and fast rules, depends on circumstances. But generally

If leaving (or blown off) a wreck or reef - thus blue water ascent - then deploy at depth.

If ascending in a known place such as near a reef wall, deploy before you reach SS stop depth when it's appropriate - certainly if potential for boats on a busy dive site, well before you get near their hull depth

As advised by crew at dive briefing

The more opportunity the boat has to spot your dsmb before you surface, the better

I've sent it from 80 to 20 feet. Like my underwear: it depends. :D

I think AOW should include shooting this from depth. If you're off the flag and not on a downline, at least one buddy in the group should deploy. Earlier is better and it's my opinion that we would have far fewer diver abandonments if they had only shot one.

On a drift we always had something up the whole time, the boat carried marker buoys on a reel for this. My wreck diving has always been in manageable water, so never had to fire the DSMB in anger. The plan has been if we've lost the ascent line, send the orange one up ASAP, we would practice from the 50% gas switch stop, circa 20m. If you're in trouble, send the yellow one up with a note on it, as soon as your reel or finger spool is in range.

For my Great Lakes wreck diving, you only shoot an SMB if you get blown off the mooring/anchor line (or if the line breaks for any reason). You’d shoot it from safety stop depth or deeper if needed to do deco. Never had to do one IRL, but getting plenty of practice currently at the quarry.

I was expecting a poll.

Anyway, it depends.

Ascending an anchor line / mooring line / shot line, no need but for the latter two I may inflate the DSMB on the surface if the boat is not close.

Generally for any other dives prior to my ascent in order that the boat crew know where I am going to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom