quick question about hoseless AI computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When the whole regulator system is not hooked up to a tank, does the computer still "connect" to the transmitter? I just got a new atom 2.0 and I want to check if it is working or not before I go on my trip... when checking battery life on the transmitter, it just says that it is not available. Does the transmitter turn off when there is no pressure? Thanks!

Correct, transmitters activate when they detect pressure.

Your question may be brand specific, my Cochran GEMINI A.I. hoseless computers absolutely WILL detect/communicate with each other (assuming they're within range of each other) regardless of whether or not they're hooked up to a tank or pressurized, the wrist unit will read 0 psi and be 'flashing' once I 'wake up' the tank unit and the wrist unit. I'd HIGHLY suggest you do a proper check out of the unit to confirm there are no 'issues' and the unit is operating as designed, this includes someway/somehow getting your hands on a full scuba tank (at the dive shop if needed) and testing your reg set for basic 'soundness'. I just spent about 3 hrs in the pool at a LDS this afternoon testing out 2 complete reg sets (each with 2 computers) to confirm there are no obvious 'issues'. Always a good idea to replace computer batteries before the 'big' trip, sucks to have your $ 2500 computer felled by a flat battery and you're diving in the middle of nowhere with spares unavailable (especially if your unit uses a wierd/proprietary/odd size battery)

I'm heading to Belize for a week 7/16-23 (Sun Dancer) and don't want any of my cool 'toyz' out of action!

Pick up a spare.....throw it in your kit.

I have an Atom 3 as well as a standard spg. The Atom 3 "wireless air" backs up the SPG and the "information " on the Atom 3 backs up my Predator

That's an argument for a hose mounted AI computer like the Cobra or Cobalt.

Adam

Not really, hosed base systems make ascending in the horizonal poistion much more difficult. In addition to requiring one to un-clip for depth/NDL during the actual dive...

Not really, hosed base systems make ascending in the horizonal poistion much more difficult. In addition to requiring one to un-clip for depth/NDL during the actual dive...

Actually, Not Really applies here as well. I dive a BP/W and a console and do not have any problems viewing my comp + gauges while horizontal. Console is on a retracter (which I thought I'd hate but actually works well) so it's really simple to pull it out, take a look and let it go. Last 15' are vertical - hand up for safety reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom