Quick West End Roatan Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macsman

New
Reaction score
Heading to Roatan on the 24th of Jan. Going down to do my rescue dive course. (wanted to do my DM course but that will come soon) Anyhow I would like to stay at a place on the beach or near where I could do some snorkeling when I am not diving. Any suggestions would be great. I thought about Delzies but am not sure of a good place. I am also thinking Coconut Tree would be my choice of dive shops after alot of research. Sorry for the not so quick question.

Most of the resorts - for some that word is a stretch - on Half Moon Bay are just across the road from the beach. The beach is just that - except for a couple of docks out into the water. If you're looking for cheap, ask Gay at CTD if there's space in the "dorm". If you're training with them I think you can stay there for like $5-10/nt. Otherwise the regular cabins are just behind the diveshop/restaurant and are $40/single, bed, bath, small frig is typical. They're older but decent. A couple of my friends stayed there. They also have one of the best generator setups on the island, a couple of times we didn't even know the power had gone out - as it does almost nightly.

Snorkeling in the bay is - well - snorkeling in a sandy bay off a beach. The reef is a long swim out.
So far that I considered asking CTD if they'd drop us off one day and we'd swim back in.

We stayed just west of Half Moon Bay off the point, it was all ironshore so getting in could be challenge but it looked pretty decent past that. And there's a shallow shoredive site out there but it's a long drift around the point and back to a resort dock where you can get out - the ironshore is several feet tall to the water's edge elsewhere. You can actually go over to SeaGrape and launch off their concrete pad - from what I understand at certain times you can get back out there also. We saw it from the deck of our house but never any closer.

The only decent snorkeling I know of is off Cocoview/FIBR on the south side of the island. We dove the Prince Albert and there were dozens of snorkelers in the water.

We were just there last May so if you've got any West End questions, shoot me a PM.

Based on walking by most of the West End diveops daily, CTD would be my choice also. 2nd would be Native Sons. Either has the nicest boats by far. CTD also has a great crew and is probably the best equipped diveshop in the West End. One of our dives was with 2 instructors and 4 DM trainees so I got to watch that also. Wil is a great instructor - not sure if he does rescue though.

Half Moon Bay cabins, is nice, and has a restaurant over the water in Half Moon Bay, So easy entrance for snorkelling in the Bay. Also good value Posada Arco Iris, again on Half Moon Bay, if you want something a little fancier, the Beach House at Half Moon Bay not sure what your budget is. about 3 minutes walk from the beach is Casa Del Sol and a house with bedrooms to rent, which is very nice. Caribbean Flores. us$25 a night shared kitchen, dining,tv room.

Macsman,
I have stayed at Luna Beach Resort in the west end a couple of times. The last time was over a year ago though so please double check this info. I have always had a great time time there. You didn't mention the size or makeup of your group. We have had seven people and rented a house that came with three dives a day with breakfast and lunch. It was very well priced. They have several different house sizes to chose from. They also have bungalows on the beach for couples. You are about a five to ten minute walk to the West End. I could not tell you about the snorkeling, but the beers are cold and the staff very nice. The beach and dock are steps away and very nice. When I think I have to get away this is the place I think about.

lunabeachresort.com
Have a great time
jim

Luna Beach is fairly far from CTC, even farther from Native Sons. It's hardly an unpleasant walk, though, about half of it on the beach between West End and West Bay and about half through the West End. It is in a beautiful location, I used to jog past there almost every morning.

Check out Land's End and Cocolobo if you want to be on the water and within a few minute's walk of Coconut tree, or take Cocoloca's suggestions. Casa Del Sol is not on the beach; it's a great deal, but not right near the water.

Also check out Posada Arco Iris...Right across from Sundowners.
They're about 100 paces or so from CTD so you can sleep in and still make it in time for a few Baliadas and a cup of joe before diving.
Posada Arco Iris is right on Half Moon Bay so the snorkelling is cool.
It's not West Bay mind you but still pretty good.
My last trip there I snorkelled right outside the hotel and saw Barracuda, Stoplight Parrotfish, squirrelfish,peppermint shrimp,trumpetfish,schooling reef squid,seastars and even an octopus...just to name some of what I saw.
The dock where the submarine is has alot to see but if you venture further out....there's alot more to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom