Quiz - Physics - Displacement

If an object that weighs 85 kg/187 pounds is neutrally buoyant in salt water, what is the volume of

• a. 8.5 liters / 3 cubic feet

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • b. 82.5 liters / 2.9 cubic feet

Votes: 75 85.2%
  • c. 87.5 liters / 3.2 cubic feet

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • d. 170 liters / 6 cubic feet

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer was obvious for us used to the metric system. Of course it is not so obvious in Imperial units.
However, if one of my students at my university course of Applied Physics had posted a question in these exact terms, I had sacked him immediately. kg is a measure of mass, not weight. Weight should be expressed in Newtons...
So the correct question should have been expressed as follows:
If an object having a mass of 85 kg is neutrally buoyant in salt water, what is the volume of water the object displaces?

Would you concede that it is harder ?
In SI units it is barely simple: 85 kg means 85 liters (in fresh water).
The density of salt water is slightly larger than fresh water, hence the volume is just less than 85 liters.

In SI units it is barely simple: 85 kg means 85 liters (in fresh water).
The density of salt water is slightly larger than fresh water, hence the volume is just less than 85 kg.
That’s how I found the solution as well.

I can never remember the average density of sea salt water, only that it is a bit heavier.

So if I get all these right are one of you instructors going to sign this newbs DM card? :):)

I’m running at 100% so far and with that statement likely ruined my run.:shocked:

keep it simple: 187# / 64 #/cf = XXX
Keep it even simpler: 85 kg / 1 kg/liter = XXX liters. Adjust for the fact that salt water is about 3% denser than freshwater (1.03 kg/liter), and Robert is your mother's brother.

kg is a measure of mass, not weight. Weight should be expressed in Newtons...
kp. It's a nice unit, albeit not quite PC. Allow for some slack, and an answer in kg is quite OK, because a mass of 1kg has a weight of 1 kp. And the kp unit makes for easy mental math. Me, I dont much care if the answer is in kg or kp. The student has a good grasp of the relevant math. If the unit is wrong, that's secondary.

1 kp = 9.81N, BTW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom