Quiz - Physiology - DCS Factors

Factors that influence a diver's susceptibility to decompression sickness include:

• a. consuming alcohol before/after a dive.

• b. fatigue.

• c. obesity.

• d. all the above are correct.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the PADI Dive Theory Exam.

Factors that influence a diver's susceptibility to decompression sickness include:

a. consuming alcohol before/after a dive.

b. fatigue.

c. obesity.

d. all the above are correct.

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

Oh oh! I think the answer to this one might be hard to debate. Maybe the science of how each could cause decompression sickness could be discussed! :)

Thanks for the questions!

Oh oh! I think the answer to this one might be hard to debate. Maybe the science of how each could cause decompression sickness could be discussed! :)

Thanks for the questions!
Nah, someone will come on and say, "Well, I've dived while drunk and I didn't get DCS, so (a) is not true." And someone else will say, "I'm always tired after a dive but I've never had DCS, so (b) is not true." And so on. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseam.

While diving while drunk is a pretty bad idea for many reasons, I can't remember to have learned about any physiological mechanisms which makes the drunk more susceptible to DCS.

When the quiz answer is released, any information that can enlighten me would be appreciated.

While diving while drunk is a pretty bad idea for many reasons, I can't remember to have learned about any physiological mechanisms which makes the drunk more susceptible to DCS.

When the quiz answer is released, any information that can enlighten me would be appreciated.
I have personally tested the consumption of alcohol after diving on several occasions, so far, so good :)

I have personally tested the consumption of alcohol after diving on several occasions, so far, so good :)
Me too.

I was talking about consumption of alcohol before diving :) Which I personally haven't tested. And feel no compulsion to test.

DAN article about alcohol consumption and how it may or may not effect diving.
Alert Diver | Drinking and Diving: Is It Safe?
From which:
"Recent alcohol intake (along with seasickness, traveler's diarrhea, excessive sweating, diuretic medications and air travel) is a potential cause of dehydration in divers. Dehydration, particularly when severe, is a potential risk factor for decompression sickness (DCS)."

From which:
"Recent alcohol intake (along with seasickness, traveler's diarrhea, excessive sweating, diuretic medications and air travel) is a potential cause of dehydration in divers. Dehydration, particularly when severe, is a potential risk factor for decompression sickness (DCS)."

Great now you've influenced potential people taking the quiz /s
The key to this question is "susceptibility". Let the arguing begin!

Back
Top Bottom