Quiz question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,Ok... I'm the bad guy. For what? Correcting someone who continues to say I'm wrong because they couldn't do it and the information is useless. FJpatrum you said "The formula is trivially simple. As has been indicated by several posters, including yourself." Simple yet difficult because it is trivial. Thats was the point. JAX- always the tip of the sword yet not stong enough to weild it... Bob- I respect your viewpoint on the matter. Given your last statement, the prior posts make more sense as to why you would take that stand point. Sorry if I assumed anything... This is also were we part ways on the matter. 2 Different teaching style's.

There is no way an answer can be contrived from the info in the original post. Only an estimation. Air is consumed on the descent and ascent, thus reducing the volume in the tank depending on the rate of descent and ascent accordingly. I would need to know the time it took for descent and ascent to give a more specific SAC. It is obvious that all 2500psi was not consumed at the depth given.

There is no way an answer can be contrived from the info in the original post. Only an estimation. Air is consumed on the descent and ascent, thus reducing the volume in the tank depending on the rate of descent and ascent accordingly. I would need to know the time it took for descent and ascent to give a more specific SAC. It is obvious that all 2500psi was not consumed at the depth given.

There are a lot things when can do to make the answer more accurate. then again in a square profile we don't talk about ascent and decent time. So its fair to say given the level of the class the same rule applies.

Last edited:
Hey, guys, can we take a step back and look at things again?

The original poster knows how to do this problem. His question was whether the question and answers as presented in the quiz made any sense, and they don't.

Brendon, you were right and I was wrong; if you are willing to express consumption rate in psi/min, you have enough information in the question to solve that problem. I was never taught to do that. We always express it in cf/min, because that is the only number which is portable from one type of tank to another, and you cannot obtain THAT value from the information given in the problem.

But whether your answer is right (and in your context, it is) or not is unimportant. What is important is that the OP asked us if the question and answer, as given, made sense. I gave a fairly complete and logical explanation why it did not. Very few other people in the thread have done so.

In the discussion, there has been some good stuff about consumption rates, how to calculate them, and what they are useful for, and that's a good outcome. I see no need for us to bicker about this!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've cleaned up this thread. In the process several posts have been removed and others have been edited. Please word your replies respectfully and exhibit a professional demeanor when responding.

NAUI doesn't even ask for SAC calculations at the OW level. Insructors may add such questions to the exam, but it's not on the Standardized A or B exams.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I really do like your writing on the topic of gas management and calcs, but check NAUI Scuba Diver test version A question #26. Admittedly, not a grueling question, but SAC is taught and tested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom