Rain in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First time poster here. I am going to Roatan for the first time from June 7 -14, and I'm a little worried about the weather report. It says its going to be raining the first 3 days I get there. How much does the rain affect visibility at most West End dive sites? Also, how much does the rain affect snorkeling visibility in West Bay and Half Moon Bay? Thanks.

First time poster here. I am going to Roatan for the first time from June 7 -14, and I'm a little worried about the weather report. It says its going to be raining the first 3 days I get there. How much does the rain affect visibility at most West End dive sites? Also, how much does the rain affect snorkeling visibility in West Bay and Half Moon Bay? Thanks.

The weather reports of ALL of the Caribbean and Central America will show rain almost every day from June-Nov. That is because it is the tropics and does rain a bit almost every day. That said, it doesn't mean that it will be bad, or even a serious rainstorm. It may be just passing clouds, a drizzle or two for a few minutes, or it might mean a horrible drenching rain for 15 minutes. But then the sun will probably come out and it will be like nothing ever happened. The rain actually helps cool things off, especially in the afternoons when it is hot, hot, hot!
So......... bottom line, don't worry about it. It probably means nothing more than a "typical day in Paradise!"

:D Have fun! :D

robin:D

great answer Robin....but then there are always the hurricanes and now earthquakes that we have to worry about :D rain can mess of the viz if they get a lot of it but it clears quickly...no worries....I always say you pay your money you take your chances...I try not to look at the forecasts before I go....they are seldom right anyway....

I will be there at the end of June.....it will not rain.............I hope:rofl3:

All that as above... and what... were you going to change your plans with two days to go?

Relax. It is what it is, what comes, comes. Have fun.

Rain? You were wet, anyway.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm definitely not going to change any plans, as I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time now. I've been screwed the last few times I've travelled to dive--I went to Koh Tao in Thailand during the "dry season" in March and it rained almost every day and visibility was only about 20-30 ft (normally over 100 ft). So perhaps I'm just a little more anxious than I should be. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun regardless of the weather.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm definitely not going to change any plans, as I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time now. I've been screwed the last few times I've travelled to dive--I went to Koh Tao in Thailand during the "dry season" in March and it rained almost every day and visibility was only about 20-30 ft (normally over 100 ft). So perhaps I'm just a little more anxious than I should be. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun regardless of the weather.

I understand completely, but I agree with the others.... don't look at the weather forcast! We went to Coz several years ago and I obsessed about watching the weather predictions for the week. It said thunderstorms and rain for every day of our trip! I literally lost sleep over it....... and it never rained more than 15 minutes the whole trip! Seriously, I felt so stupid. I got the lecture that I gave you --- it is the Tropics, if it doesn't rain almost every day then there is something wrong!

We were in Roatan last NOV, and that was the rainy season. It rained and rained and rained HARD the first several days. Then the rain stopped, with only occasional showers. Vis was down for sure those first few days, but it was still a fantastic trip and we can't wait to go back!! :D

Rain in the Bay Islands, this time of year is normally associated with tropical waves which are the precursors to tropical storms>tropical depressions>hurricanes.

Tropical waves are depicted as dashed brown lines on the following weather maps:
1. Intellicast - Atlantic Analysis in United States
2. Ten Spider Weather - North Atlantic Tropical Surface Analysis

For a more detailed daily weather analysis see the "Caribbean Sea" section of "The Atlantic Tropical Weather Discussion" found at:

Atlantic Tropical Weather Discussion

We just returned from Roatan and we checked the weather before we left too and saw 7 days of rain and thunderstorms for the forecast.

If it rained at all while we were there it must have happened at night.

I was worried about the weather myself. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and the forecast shows nothing but rain coming up. The responses make me feel a little better about the trip.

IŽ´m her now in the West End, Roatan and IŽ´m glad to say that it is completly sunny and hot here. Pretty good visibility (60 - 70ft) during my first two dives today. Weather report was wrong 36 hours prior to arriving her. I guess everyone is right, you canŽ´t worry about the weather reports.

Back
Top Bottom