Rainy July, ok to dive Malapascua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering water temp and dive condition at Malapascua? Will be visiting next week, 3mm suit or board shorts/dive skin ok to wear? Viz good? Thanks.

Thermal is always quite subjective, but I dive 3mm full all year long in PG/Anilao. For Jan-Feb I have a 2mm hooded vest that I can add if the thermoclines are cold or repetitive dives on a rainy weekend.

I would be taking my boardshorts and rash guards regardless, maybe take a quick dip upon arrival to check your comfort?

Can't help ya on the current viz though, I'm also in Metro Manila.... itching for this LPA to move on :tired: so I can grab a weekend in Anilao.

Good luck!

3mm should be ok. Better to have some extra warmth than get cold. Doing a weather update daily and it seems there's no escaping the daily thundershowers. Appreciate your assist DFresh, thanks.

You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't offer more.

Yeah, 'tis the season for the daily showers, but that doesn't typically affect the diving too much. But these LPA's and Tropical Depressions have got me missing the sunshine! Hahaha

I think (hope) you've targeted a nice break in the weather though. Report back after the trip, let us know how it went.

Good luck and enjoy!

3mm ideal. Water temp great but there can be micro stingers in the water that are annoying.

Hasn'/t rained here for more than 10 minutes over the last week. That might change but the microclimates the big islands attract don't happen here.

Some LPAs out there but as of writing, it is almost ideal here with day trips and sunshine and all the good stuff.

Good to hear that showers there arent as bad as what we're experiencing and that you've got some good sunshine on the islands. 3mm is it. Thanks guys.

Thanks Mucksavage and D_Fresh! After 2 days of gloomy, cloudy skies with torrential evening rain, todays weather is perfect, sunny and blue skies! What a relief, though it may seem to be a short break. Water temp is about 28°C, full 3mm with hood is fine. Got stung, first time ever, by Jellies. Nasty and stingy, on the hand. No thanks to No Gloves rule on the island. Viz is down to a short couple of meters, 10 maybe guessing?
Oh, and the Star of the Island, Threshers, were doing their "parade" no less than 3 Threshers sharks were at Monad, all at the same time. Great sighting and amazing to see those beauties. There were a couple more seen during our descent and also ascent, and thats with poor viz!
Hope this update here in Malapascua has been of help to visitors. Safe dives!

Fantastic!! Sorry to hear about your jelly sting, but yeah, it happens. I hope the threshers made the sting worth while.

Happy to hear that the trip is turnned out to be a success! I will definitely make my way down there when I can.

Where did you stay and who did you dive with?

Currently checked in at Exotic Resort, really nice, and was at Hippo, great location, for a few days. All dives were NITROX with Dive Society.
This jellysting seem to have gotten worse and had to cancel my Gato dives, a day dive trip, from the Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom