[rant] DIR vs. DID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deja vu, aqua tech?

I think that the DIR approach has merit. I'm not sure that it has the same benefit for a new diver as it does for a more experienced one.

I appreciate the marketing involved, and you're all right in saying that the name doesn't make the system, the system makes the system.

Food for thought: Would you have followed the system if the name weren't so compelling?

R

biscuit7 once bubbled...

Food for thought: Would you have followed the system if the name weren't so compelling?
R

To me the name has nothing to do with it. Its the training, equipment configuration and philosphy thats makes sense and makes it so compelling to me. They could name it DAD(dumb ass divers) for all i care.Once again its the the philosophy, training and gear configuration that makes it work not the three letters DIR.

Allow me to rephrase: Do you think DIR would have reached its current level of popularity if the name weren't so compelling?

I would never outright reject any system/methodology/set of principles that makes someone a more competent diver.

Northeastwrecks: What bad habits do you think the newbie diver is most likely to pick up through experience? How does DIR training remedy/prevent those?

One of the main reasons for me to stay out of the fray is to work on my own skills in a consistent way so I can find my own balance. Because of my limited dive experience I have rarely dove with the same set of gear for consecutive dives. I am constantly changing my exposure protection, fresh to saltwater, water temperature, visibility, etc. I don't have a firm grip on how I dive, what I want to dive, or what I want to do in the future with diving. It makes sense to me to get some of that straight before I pursue any more formal training. I can't really know if something is better if I don't know what good is now.

R

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Allow me to rephrase: Do you think DIR would have reached its current level of popularity if the name weren't so compelling?
R

Yes it would have at least in my opinion.

Until you have seen true DIR divers in the water its hard to comment. I have only personally seen the experinced DIR divers in the water twice and let me tell you those guys were amazing. They are like fish with amazing buoyancy control.

I recently adopted the DIR style of diving and dont come close to performing like the true more experienced DIR divers. After seeing them in the water and watched their teamwork and skils first hand i was convinced along with some help from this board namely uncle pug that this is how i wanted my style of diving to be.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Until you have seen true DIR divers in the water its hard to comment. I have only personally seen the experinced DIR divers in the water twice and let me tell you those guys were amazing. They are like fish with amazing buoyancy control.

I have seen some of those you have mentioned in the above statement. The three looked the same, were geared up the same, good predive buddy check and dive plan.......funny thing was ...they couldn't run compass tween the three of them, they got lost, surfaced, surfaced swam to the boat and one fool went back down to rescue his bailout bottle which he left at the bottom at the mooring line.....ergo he blew his diveplan and his dive had to become a deco dive.........

Now anyone can do this DIR or not......Just a point that no matter what training you have, mistakes can happen......
:confused: :rolleyes:

My limited exposure to DIR is that there are some good ideas/rules/whatever you wish to call them, but same applies if you don't utilize your knowledge.......you are as useless as a rock in a rainstorm.

Butch103 once bubbled...

I have seen some of those you have mentioned in the above statement. The three looked the same, were geared up the same, good predive buddy check and dive plan.......funny thing was ...they couldn't run compass tween the three of them, they got lost, surfaced, surfaced swam to the boat and one fool went back down to rescue his bailout bottle which he left at the bottom at the mooring line.....ergo he blew his diveplan and his dive had to become a deco dive.........

Now anyone can do this DIR or not......Just a point that no matter what training you have, mistakes can happen......
:confused: :rolleyes:

My limited exposure to DIR is that there are some good ideas/rules/whatever you wish to call them, but same applies if you don't utilize your knowledge.......you are as useless as a rock in a rainstorm.

Notice thats why i said experienced and true DIR divers.It sounds like those dudes were dressed DIR and acted DIR. There are a lot of so called DIR divers on this board but only a few are experienced true life DIR divers such as uncle pug and some others.....please forgive me but pug was the first to mind.

As for me i have adopted the DIR style of diving recently but dont even consider myself in the same class as someone like pug.I would be a poor example of a DIR poster boy as my buoyancy is not perfect among other things but i get better with each dive.Experience comes with training and diving which i am just beginning as far as the DIR side of things.Sure i have plenty of nice plastic cards from the other side of the fence but most of those are pretty easily earned.

Now im not gonna say you have to be DIR to have good buoyancy skills or buddy skills but the group i seen was impressive. My goal is strive to have the skills they displayed.Im not gonna jump up on a soap box and preach DIR. Dive how you want and feel comfortable with.I would advise to check into DIR as it is very well rounded and covers all their bases as far as safe and proficient diving.But most of all, however you dive and whatever gear you dive, use common sense and dive safe!! :D

I guess they were DIW? (Doint It Wrong) *smirk*

Butch103 once bubbled...

<SNIP>they couldn't run compass tween the three of them, they got lost, surfaced, surfaced swam to the boat and one fool went back down to rescue his bailout bottle which he left at the bottom at the mooring line.....ergo he blew his diveplan and his dive had to become a deco dive.........<UNSNIP>

All well and good. I'm all for teaching good technique early in a divers training and the industry sure is messed up. there are many reasons it doesn't usually happen. Namely the relationship between the equipment manufacturers, the shop, the agency and consumer.

I teach all that to my OW divers. My class also costs more. Eight out of ten divers goes down the street where they can get a class cheaper and get it done faster. The few who later realize that they can't dive for crap blame PADI for them having chose a poor class and go take a DIRF for $300 +

Now then you do your DIRF and finaly laern about trim and hovering. What class does GUE tach navigation in? Most new divers need a little coaching in this area and I see some funny things. Do they teach underwater searches? Rescue? If I recall you must already be an instructor before you can become a GUE instructor.

For those of you who realize the need for even new divers to have good basic skills, why don't you educate your friends and get them to insist that they get that in their OW class even if it coasts more?
Buoyancy control, trim, team diving skills and whatever are not DIR they are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom