Rate of bladder inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to make a small change in the positive direction, you want to just crack the valve for a moment with a very short push of the inflator button--like just an instant....

It sounds like you are pushing down on the button for a long time---don't....most of the time you will use a series og tiny little bursts of air, that will add up to what you need....if you get too much in, you will only have to let a tiny amount out...

A good place to do this is a foot off the bottom, horizontal, where you have an ideal visual reference to tiny changes in buoyancy...If you are coming down fast--very negative, you probably have way too much weight...blow enough air in to get near neutral, and then settle down to a foot off the bottom for the precise and small bursts in, or small amounts let out...
. Get yourself neutral, and then begin the dive.

The key to buoyancy control is to add and vent from the bc or wing in the smallest possible increments. New divers put too much air in and vent to much air almost every time they adjust. This is one of the simple keys to buoyancy control that is easy to learn , practice and apply. Rapid inflation would only be appropriate for emergencies like being caught in a down current. Adjusting the flow rate of an inflator is done by the operator, and I can perceive no need for any equipment alteration.
DivemasterDennis

Good advice Dan but I also tend to see new divers release all of their inflation at the start of their descent and then start laying on the inflator as they are desending too fast. Then they get too positive, release more air, add more air thus causing the constant yo-yo effect. Just remember to let out only enough air to desend below the surface and only add small burst of air to maintain a good slow rate of descent speed...unless there is a rather swift current.

I have never felt like the shortest burst possible on my generic $15 inflators was too long for comfort or safety. To me this doesn't seem like a problem that needs solving. YMMV.

The problem with altering equipment is that sometimes it works. and other times it can give you surprises at inopportune times. I'd be one of the last people to dissuade anyone from innovation, but I haven't found a properly working inflator that I've wanted to re-engineer.

I'm on the same page as herman (post 9) as far operation, and use it enough to get a feel for it's effect.

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

maybe this is a good topic to ask why would you want/need a "power" inflator rather than a slow one.

My new inflators are much slower than previous one and I'm happy with that.

I think in a stuck inflator situation slow inflator would give you more time to get the control over than a fast one. Am I wrong?

When was someone in a situation where you needed faster inflation than you inflator is capable of?

I think in a stuck inflator situation slow inflator would give you more time to get the control over than a fast one. Am I wrong?

Given that the old Halcyon (for example) 'power inflators' (with the alloy buttons) are/were prone to sticking without regular maintainance, I would say No you're not wrong

When was someone in a situation where you needed faster inflation than you inflator is capable of?

Personally speaking, never - just start inflating earlier i.e. don't let yourself get so negative in the first place

what are the components that determine the rate of inflation of the bladder on my BCD?

Here's the main one...

the_letter_x_in_american_sign_language_BG5648.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom