+ Rated Tanks In Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its based on double filtration costs. I double filter all my air. Filter medium is reasonably expensive in OZ compared I suspect to Mexico.

LDS Air fills in OZ are in the order of $7-10 depending on where you are.

I'm not in Mexico. I just know that with Mexico's high electricity costs (5 times mine) they can sell air at a profit for $1.50 and I know my filter costs here in the US are about 50 cents per fill with small prepacked cartridges. They must really nail you for the cartridges in Oz.

Well a P21 is about $65 and a 0520 is about $35 so I am looking at $100 per run. That works out to about $5 per tank assuming 25 tanks

Yes which is why we have DINS.... We have two types of DINS. High pressure DINS on the 8L tanks. We have lower pressure DINS on the 10L tanks so if we have diving company with yoke valves we can put in the insert and convert them for them. That means they are lower pressure valves of course.

Mine are all DIN valves with insert as well. Thats the way most if not all new tanks are here now. A great idea, saving on converters and such. Only thing is you should remove the insert and clean on a yearly basis or the inserts can corrode in. When I was in Thailand it seemed they put the tanks on the dive boats and the tanks are then used daily for about 5-10 years and never serviced or washed ever. Funnily enough most of the inserts are siezed in. A little bit of TLC goes a long way. I service my valves when I get them hydro'd.

The only time the inserts go in ours is when they are needed for fills when someone else who uses a yoke use them. Both our reg sets are DINS so the inserts aren't needed for us. We do also have two adapters so we can use our DIN regs on Yoke tanks when we travel if the operator doesn't have DINS or have enough DINS.

My budget doesn't stretch to my own compressor, I guess I'll have to make friends with the LDS and try and get good fills or find / start a club and share it with a group

My budget doesn't stretch to my own compressor, I guess I'll have to make friends with the LDS and try and get good fills or find / start a club and share it with a group
I will give you a free fill anytime

The only time the inserts go in ours is when they are needed for fills when someone else who uses a yoke use them. Both our reg sets are DINS so the inserts aren't needed for us. We do also have two adapters so we can use our DIN regs on Yoke tanks when we travel if the operator doesn't have DINS or have enough DINS.

We are the same. I made the decision to convert our 4 regs to DIN and buy DIN from then on. I think a wise decision. Now everything I own is DIN, and I only recommend DIN to new divers. To me seems sensible, in particular if the diver is keen enough to maybe go tech later. Anyway an old argument I am sure.

I'm in Oz looking around for some tanks, there seems to be a lot more steel tanks rather than AL tanks which I'm happy with and they appear younger than the steel tanks back in the states.

Is there are reason most tanks appear to be 5-10 years old? Where are all the 20 year old steel tanks? Has the requirement to hydro tanks every year meant that they wear out and fail? or maybe it is all in my head

Anyone have any insight?

Where are all the 20 year old steel tanks? Has the requirement to hydro tanks every year meant that they wear out and fail? or maybe it is all in my head...

Hi Hemrick,

I have one comment. If treated with care, steel cylinders will last for decades even with annual hydrostatic testing. I have buddies who own steel cylinders that are 40 plus years old (i.e. an American product manufactured to DOT standards) and which have been tested annually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom