Razor 2 with cold water technical gear, good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently doing SM technical cold water wreck diving using a Dive Rite Nomad JT. I use a DUI CF 200 drysuit with weazle style underwear. I am diving with Worthington HP100 tanks, an aluminum 40 stage, standard other technical gear (reels, etc). I am interested in some feedback from divers actually performing tech diving with the Razor 2 in cold water with HP steels.

My current rig is very well balanced, I am only using about 12 lbs of lead currently. I am not unhappy with the JT, just find it a little bulky and shoulder lift oriented. I have no lift issues with my current setup and run my wing only half inflated at depth with full tanks. I have customized my JT quite a bit, including adding permanent weight pockets to the back of it which work very well.

The Razor also appears to push the buoyancy a little south which may help me drop a little more weight. I am confident on the lift being more than adequate but would just like to hear how others have found it to be in this type of diving. Does the bladder inflate in a big bulge? I would think it would based on the design. All comments welcome.

Thanks in advance
Stano

You should at least consider the new DiveRite Nomad LT, which is minimalist without the full butt bubble design.

For whatever reason, it is not on the DiveRite site last I checked, but it is out in stores.

I did look at it on the Dive Rite site. Seems to be similar design except only 25 lbs lift. I suspect I need about 25lbs of lift which gives me no safety margin. I just wonder, when the razor is fully inflated it must look like a big balloon.

Have you considered using larger steels instead of adding lead? As a good friend of mine frequently says "why use smaller tanks with lead weights if you can't breathe lead"

Have you considered using larger steels instead of adding lead? As a good friend of mine frequently says "why use smaller tanks with lead weights if you can't breathe lead"

Currently I have my rig balanced enough that my lead only covers the difference in buoyancy of the air. I have ran my tanks to 500psi as a test and am negative enough to hold my stops. Two hp100's have a buoyancy swing of 15lbs full to empty.

I don't think the lead is going anywhere unfortunately in my situation. I own 4 HP100's already and I like the size and volume also.

I have the Manta rig, similiar to Razor. I also run a CF200, with HP100's and 40's. If your interested in feedback on this rig.

Manta is basically a Razor clone with a 50lb lift wing. I also have 4 hp100' s I wanted to stick with. I'm currently diving with only 4lbs of lead and may be able to do less. Plenty of lift. I been having trouble getting good trim. Bands at the bottom of my cylinders now. Was putting lead at the top od my spine like the Razor T weight system but have decided to put my xs scuba weight pouches on my shoulders. Seems better already. It's taken some time and some mods but think I'm getting close. Actually had fun last dive and not feeling like a retard. I have a friend who has some good experience in the Florida caves with sidemount and thinks I' m set up good now. Thanks Walt ! Mods include fixed
low profile d-rings on my waist. Was having trouble getting clipped in with dry gloves. Added chest strap. Added second set of bent d-rings on my chest. Changed bungees to Diverite ring and choker system.
I' sure I'll make some more changes but thats why I choose sidemount. Everything the way I like it.

I did look at it on the Dive Rite site. Seems to be similar design except only 25 lbs lift. I suspect I need about 25lbs of lift which gives me no safety margin. I just wonder, when the razor is fully inflated it must look like a big balloon.

Under what circumstances would you need to fully inflate the Razor wing?

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom