re contradictory charging instructions for EX35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
www.diverite.comJanuary 2019© Lamartek, Inc. dba Dive
Charging the Canister
2.Plug the banana plug charging adapter into the three (3) red (+) battery receptacles and centerblack (-) battery receptacleon the battery pack. 3.Plug the Smart Charger into a wall outlet.

DiveRite charging instruction card that came with light:
1. Plug the battery charger into the wall.
2. Plug the battery charger adapter into the cannister.

Is one way "righter" than the other, or is the sequence irrelevant?

Thanks.

According to UWLD, the second choice (plug in charger, then connect to battery) is correct for ALL dive lights.

In the US Navy, when it comes to rigging shipboard emergency/casualty power , the doctrine is always rig from the "load" to the "source".

-Z

According to UWLD, the second choice (plug in charger, then connect to battery) is correct for ALL dive lights.
I really hate to disagree with Bobby on anything light or battery related since he definitely knows his stuff, but all of my manuals for Hollis lights is the exact opposite. You can download the pdf from there site if you do not believe me.

This caught me eye since it is not the way I have been doing it for years.

This is direct from the manual:

1. Remove canister lid from body exposing the canister/battery connection
2. Attach the battery to the charger – Red to Red and Black to Black
3. Plug charger into wall outlet – Universal LiPo Smart Charger automatically adjusts to 110/220V current and 50/60Hz frequency.
4. Always ensure the charger is not covered and is not in direct sunlight.
5. Charge for 5 hours and disconnect after a full charge (the LED will display green)
– DO NOT leave the charger attached to the battery for a prolonged period of time beyond the charging cycle as this could damage the battery and/or charger.
6. NOTE: The included 5A/h 11.1V Lithium-ion Polymer (LiPo) rechargeable battery has a high energy density, very good cycle life and is environmentally friendly. LiPo batteries can be stored for several months without significantly losing charge. However, Unlike NiMh batteries, after use it is suggested to store in a partially charged state – but never fully charged as this could shorten the battery life or damage the battery

(Thanks for replying.......I was starting to feel lonely out here.)

Yes, I read the manual. I also read the instruction CARD that came with the light from Dive Rite, which says, under BATTERY CHARGING;

1. Open canister lid etc.

2. "Plug the smart charger into the wall"

3. "Plug the battery charger adapter into the canister making sure to line up all 4 banana plugs"

The two directions are opposite. I can't believe both of them to be correct unless, "it doesn't matter" is the answer.

I know on my scooter that I have to plug the charger into the wall first and then plug into the scooter battery.

Perhaps it has more to do with the particular charger than the battery chemistry??

for lithium ion (and nimh) batteries it doesnt matter
charger to wall first
charger to battery first
either way is fine

If you hook a watts up in between the charger and battery (I have many times) you'll see that basically no current flows in either case until the charger has finished a series of voltage sensing tests which take about 20-30 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom