Reaching my Valve on a single with a BP/W...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the neck assist, and the UP eblow assist. I'll give them a spin this weekend.

What about cheating the cylinder by spinning it a bit to get the valve closer - not "in the back of your head" closer, but a little?

Is there something I'm not considering by spinning it a bit? (see pic in my opening post)

Thanks -

K

The only thing I can think of against spinning the tank around a bit in relation to the backplate, is whether or not it will screw up your hose-routing. I guess if you've got a turret regulator like an Apeks DST, it will be less of a concern.

One more thing.

If you're diving dry, make sure that you stretch out while wearing the suit. Otherwise, the suit itself can bind up and limit your range of motion.

The rest sounds fine to me.

It is a lot easier to reach your valve on a single tank (or doubles for that matter) when you try it in the water. Get horizontal, then arch your back and neck upwards when you start reaching. I had a tendency to hunch forward, which just makes the valve farther from your hand. After practice, I can do it now, first time, every time in the water, but it's a struggle to do it standing up out of the water. So don't worry too much about your dry land performance. Get wet, then try it.

Before you try it next time, do some dry land stretching in advance. do lat stretches, as well as the following "modified" lat stretch -- point your elbow towards the sky, with your hand down behind your neck. grab your elbow with your opposite hand and gently push your elbow down behind your head.

Regarding tank height -- the key is not where the bottom of the plate is, but where the top is in relation to the tank. I usually have the plate mounted (single tank) so that the top of my backplate is even with the spot on the tank where it first starts to go from vertical to curving towards the top). ultimately, the tank height will also be affected by the tightness of your harness...but bottom line, I can touch the valve with the back of my head while swimming underwater.

Finally got back in the water this weekend.

There is a HUGE difference between reaching your valve, and actually turning your valve. Woah. Nice wrist. Reaching it was cool, actually turning it effectively will require some practice.

Thanks!

K

A trick taught to me by a diver during my Intro to Cave class was, before you actually reach back for your valve, to stretch your arm out as far as you can in front of you, then reach back. It sounded crazy when he said it, and a couple of other divers scoffed at it as well, but when I got in the water and tried it, it worked! Before I was doing mad somersaults trying to reach that valve. But now it's pretty easy. Using the head trick makes it even easier.

But like you said, reaching the valve and turning the valve are two different beasts. :banging:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom