Read JJ's book - What's all the fuss about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just finished reading Jarrod Jablonski's Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving. What is all the fuss about? If this is the basic textbook and blueprint to the DIR philosophy of diving, why are so many people upset with DIR?

I didn't come away from reading the book sensing any holier-than-thou attitude on the part of the author. Did I miss the chapter on str*kes? All I found was some well thought out reasoning for certain gear configurations and techniques. Hell, as I read it, JJ did even say computers were *that* bad, just that their introduction had prompted many people to stop teaching/questioning tables and deco theory. I took it that computers were more of a symptom of the "dumbing down" of scuba instruction in general than an evil unto themselves.

The discussion gear configuration wasn't even as "inflexible" is many had lead me to believe (although I didn't quite agree with the bondage wing" discussion).

I wish there had been a little more info about the team approach and DIR buddy system. I guess they have to leave some stuff for the class. Where is the closest place to NC to take a Fundies course?

The majority of detractors to DIR seem to base the bulk of their objections on the following:

1. George Irvine has a caustic writing style on the internet

2. The choice of the DIR name can be construed to imply that other approaches are 'wrong'

3. Someone somewhere referred to someone else as a 'stroke'

xiSkiGuy:
I didn't come away from reading the book sensing any holier-than-thou attitude on the part of the author. Did I miss the chapter on str*kes?
To get that side, you had to read George Irvine posts on the techdiver list. (Which unfortunately is no longer available)

I have decided it is primarily envy...

cyklon_300:
The majority of detractors to DIR seem to base the bulk of their objections on the following:

1. George Irvine has a caustic writing style on the internet

2. The choice of the DIR name can be construed to imply that other approaches are 'wrong'

3. Someone somewhere referred to someone else as a 'stroke'

Great choice of words for number 1 Cyklon! I think I have some old archived posts from George I am going to take a look at now. LOL.

I read the book and had the same reaction. I lent the book to our best friends, who got certified after me, and they had the same reaction. I think you have to have had some bad interaction (in cyberspace or elsewhere) with somebody identified as DIR and with an attitude to get really worked up about it. Otherwise, one could simply and mildly state that the gear configuration chosen or the diving protocols chosen aren't to one's taste, and move on.

In some articles, there is still reference to strokes.
To me, stroke = unsafe diver

Someone here on SB, can't remember who, did a nice writeup of stroke and the overall philosohpy, which essentially says: Do not dive with unsafe divers. This has more to do with attitude and behavior than with gear [brand] configuration.

Have not read JJ's book (yet).. but will need to soon, hopefully I will be doing fundies this summer.. Given the right time and opportunity.

If you take away the "internet BS" the DIR philosophy has a lot to offer.

{sip}

countryboy:
If you take away the "internet BS" the DIR philosophy has a lot to offer.{sip}

Exactly right countryboy. GUE/DIR is a positive force and a good move away from the intro course, internet diver. I am not a GUE diver, and I have been exposed to a few strokes and jokes incidents from immature and wannabe types who may or may not have been real GUE divers. What I do know is that drills and exercises and good trim and self awareness is a very good and safe thing. Divers who choose to do DIR-F are divers who want to improve skills.

I JUST finished reading JJ's book and was just looking for somewhere to post. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Book was well written, NOT imflamatory. Very good, sound points brought out in it!

I could tell from DIR Videos that I 1st downloaded from web and later from the ones I bought that JJ was calm, cool and factual and that George Irvine was just a wee bit rough around the edges (to put it mildly)! But you can tell he is PASSIONATE about his beliefs and he pulls no punches. I can't fault him for that. I assume it is just his personality(?) He is undoubtedly an ACCOMPLISHED diver with multiple World Records to his credit. There are many (some are divers) that are just as arrogant and opinionated and have SO much less to be super proud of!

But then again he had no major part in writing of this book! I again assume that it was George (and NOT JJ) that started with the Stroke term?

Just My two cents worth!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom