Ready....aim....click.....oh crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry: not sure why the photos ended up splitting the text but when I choose the edit feature they are after the text just as intended. Seems things are confusing. I have tried to attach 4 files but the same 2 appeared in my message twice so I re edited to remove 1 pair of them, but they still seem to be showing. These are the RAW samples

IMG_3148v1WB.jpg
IMG_3148v1WB.jpg
IMG_3148v1.jpg

Last edited:
Question for you photo buffs. How do u get pics? After many years of diving I caught the photo bug but on my last trip to Cozumel I got no good pics. You have any tips or tricks you care to share? I really don't want to use a hook (not fair to other divers imho). Or should I leave my system behind and just go with the flow? I see many incredible pics from there but I am not a professional and won't be getting a private tour

Here's one: Go to Colombia Shallows on a sunny day.

The things I have learned over the years:

Get close - then get closer. The water between you and your subject is the enemy.

Shoot up if at all possible.

Fish butts are a waste of time

Get the eyes in focus

Think about the background's impact on what you are shooting

When you are next watching TV or a movie think about how the camera person is framing what they are shooting. These are pros at what they are doing so you get a free tutorial in every show.

Learn how to use the manual settings on your camera to manage light. My strobe died early on one liveaboard trip. Made me learn how to shoot underwater with natural light. White balance and ISO settings make a significant difference (after aperture and shutter speed of course) Deep shots were pretty much a waste of time on that trip, but did get some good pics in the shallows.

I like Lightroom - if I can't make a shot look good in about 10 seconds it probably isn't ever going to. Some exceptions when the subject is particularly unusual but that is my rule of thumb.

Have low expectations. If I average one "keeper" per dive at the end of a trip I am delighted.

If I average one "keeper" per dive at the end of a trip I am delighted.
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.”
– Ansel Adams

Get one of these pointers, strap it on your left wrist, hold the yellow handle with your left hand with the red tip anchored on a dead rock to steady yourself before pushing the camera trigger on your right hand.

IMG_5236.JPG

Here is a picture of 1/8" (3mm) long pregnant Bargibanti Pygmy seahorse in 80 fsw (25m) deep in Raja Ampat, taken with a 9-years old, 10 MP, point & shoot Sea & Sea DX1G & strobe with that pointer to steady myself.

IMG_3512.JPG

Last edited:
Get one of these pointers, strap it on your left wrist, hold the yellow handle with your left hand with the red tip anchored on a dead rock to steady yourself before pushing the camera trigger on your right hand.

View attachment 397463

Here is a picture of 1/8" (3mm) long pregnant Bargibanti Pygmy seahorse in 80 fsw (25m) deep in Raja Ampat, taken with a point & shoot Sea & Sea DX1G & strobe with that pointer to steady myself.

View attachment 397464

Excellent photo. I've been looking at reef/muck sticks. Do you have a link to where you got your stick from?

“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.”
– Ansel Adams

Hey if I get one Ansel Adams level shots in my lifetime I would be delighted :)

These were shots from my first trip after I got a still camera rig. Lots of luck, lots of light. Since then, I have not shot as good of pictures. If I get 1 or two on a trip that are great shots, then I did good.

M5052299 (1).jpg

M5052217.JPG

M5052248.JPG

M5052504.JPG

M5052513.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom