Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banda Sea is an open ocean where we would be in the blue in search of the hammerheads. So some safety precautions need to be put in mind when diving in the blue such as your buoyancy, depth, gas pressure and current. We followed tightly with the guide. Should we get separated by swift current, be prepared to launch DSMB at depth to signal the dinghies where we are before getting too far out of their viewing range.

I also carry PLB1 and Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) in case I get lost at sea. Before leaving Maumere, I tested my PLB1 and MRG. For the MRG, I worked with Captain Hono & CD Egoi to make sure my MRG MMSI is recognized by the boat AIS screen and alert system. Egoi walked around in Maumere Harbor with my MRG and I can see his GPS location through the boat’s AIS LCD plotter. I think each DM is issued an MRG.

Some liveaboards that I have been on like Galápagos Master, GBR Spoilsport, Cocos Argo, Palau Aggressor, Maldives Aggressor, Socorro Nautilus Undersea loan MRG to all divers for free. I hope Blue Manta would do the same in the future.

We are down to 2 working dinghies. It’ll slower now to get to the drop off sites.

Due to the flooded dinghy being propped up on the loading deck, We started to get on & off the dinghy from the side of the motherboat. So it is getting more difficult & dangerous to get on / off the dinghies from the side during choppy conditions. Hopefully no one gets hurt. Fingers crossed.

FYI the tenders are boarded from the side when it’s choppy as it’s safer (else rear of boat can crash on the side of the tender).

The stern is used when it’s smoother.

ATTENTION BLUE MANTA:

It may be wise to NOT state the specific location(s) that we found sharks.

Shark finners might well monitor this site.

- Bill

FYI the tenders are boarded from the side when it’s choppy as it’s safer (else rear of boat can crash on the side of the tender).

The stern is used when it’s smoother.

I object to the formulation "on the side because it's safer". That is NOT the reason we boarded on the side, and it is NOT safer.

We board to the side of the BM because the boarding platform on the BM is at the level of the water -- the ocean -- and in moderately rough seas, if they put tender to the back, it floats onto the dive platform. This is a Design Flaw, pure and simple. They need to raise the level of the platform. BM should be taken out of service to correct this!

A simple observation of the wake in the back of the boat shows that the water is calmer there than on the side on the BM. Boarding to the side is an accident waiting to happen.

- Bill

I'm glad you have had some good sightings, I know how it feels as the sightings when i dove there, started off with others seeing a few, then building day after day. Swimming in the blue is errie, but once I got used to it if found it exciting. To help with vertigo I found I could always focus on a piece of plankton when I didn't have another diver in view.
It's an amazing experience to see a large pack, and even more when they come close, it's rewarding knowing you didn't come all that way and get skunked on one of the reasons your there.
Hope you have more sighting's and the rest of the trip is rewarding.

The best platform I’ve experienced was one that could be lowered below the surface—the zodiak moves over it—then the platform was rised up until the zodiac was standing on it. Supereasy and safe for someone hauling a big camera system. Designed by one of the part owners (engineer) in Don Questo (former Ciprea) that sails out of Port Sudan.

@Dan, how's it going?

The best platform I’ve experienced was one that could be lowered below the surface—the zodiak moves over it—then the platform was rised up until the zodiac was standing on it. Supereasy and safe for someone hauling a big camera system. Designed by one of the part owners (engineer) in Don Questo (former Ciprea) that sails out of Port Sudan.

Palau Aggressor II has such platform that elevate its skiff to dive deck. All the dive gears are already stationed in the skiff. All you need to do is put on your wetsuit, carry your mask & walk to the skiff.

Better. Water temperature is still the same, 24-25C. Diving with schooling sea snakes is unique experience in Manuk.
Dan, If I remember correctly, the Blue manta has hot water showers on the back deck (I might be wrong). Get some warm water into your wetsuit before the dive. Better still rinse wetsuit with warm water before getting it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom