REALLY LUCKY mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . I just feel that it is flat-out wrong to dive with an uncertified diver. Watered-down training notwithstanding, certification from some industry-accepted scuba agency is at least a minimum standard that every diver should attain. IMO it doesn't matter whether the person has been diving for 20+ years - uncertified is uncertified.

I completely agree with LeeAnn.

It is strange to hear of an uncertified diver today. Where did he get his tanks filled?

You can't fix stupid.

:rofl3: Ain't that the truth!

hes a local to the key we go to and they dont check locals for certs, after going there with him a few times they knew i was fine and after i got my cert and went to get tanks filled for me they never checked me. I see them check tourists but thats it.

hey and if pavlov can train a dog to salivate at the ring of a bell signaling food is ready then im sure a dumb person is trainable

The real problem is that the light bulb really has to want to change :) You can recommend a good, "strict" instructor, but if your buddy wants to be the way he is, all he is going to do is fight with someone like that, if he's even willing to take the class.

If you want a class that will change his ways, though, I'd contact Rick Riera-Gomez in Miami. The kind of diving he teaches has a huge emphasis on operating as a team, and he will show your buddy that he doesn't have the diving skills he thinks he has!

I commend you for caring this much to find an instructor but would your buddy actually take the course? I don't know him but from what I've read, nothing short of nearly killing himself may actually humble him. It is a scary statement but I think all he needs to do is peruse through the accident/incidents forum, read the IUCRR reports, talk to people that have seen experienced divers nearly or actually get hurt, and speak with instructors that have gotten hurt. A student in my class that is reckless because he is 'top dog' will be shown the door and get their money back (happened once). It won't be hard, if the instructor is doing their job, to instill some sort of respect in him, whether he decides to adhere to the rules or not is a different story.

I second the GUE course above, your buddy will be shocked and awed. If he doesn't listen, he WILL be booted out...

hes a local to the key we go to and they dont check locals for certs, after going there with him a few times they knew i was fine and after i got my cert and went to get tanks filled for me they never checked me. I see them check tourists but thats it.

Interesting. I dive the Florida Keys on occason and I think I can see how that could happen.

I'm not sure what Key you are referring to, but I am surprised that there is any diver in the Keys that is not certified. There are plenty of dive shops.

If he never bothered to get certified then he must not do any dive travel and he's probably cheap.

Maybe I missed it but what kind of noise signaling device do you carry? Since I own a private boat I carry two devices. One is a Storm Whistle clipped off in my pocket along with a signal mirror. The other is a Dive Alert again clipped off in my pocket, then installed on an inflator hose if needed. It is at least four times louder than the Storm Whistle, but if my tank is empty or I ditch my kit the Storm Whistle will still work.

One blast of the air horn and every boat in sight should be looking for you. Especially at a few hundred yards.

No need to comment on your buddy, as everyone else said what is needed.

Wow - what a post. I am glad you, and everybody else, are ok.
Here's what I would do if I were you - pick a good local dive shop and get involved with the people there. Maybe take a specialty class or even AOW if you feel up to it. My point is when you take a class you gain some potential new dive buddies - certified ones. Hopefully they have a dive club to meet good, experienced divers - ones who likey will be safe, dependable buddies. Go on organized trips with them. The more you dive with good, experienced divers, the safer you'll be and the more you will learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom