• Inflator Hose

Votes: 53 37.3%
  • Rear Dump

Votes: 70 49.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 19 13.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was talking to a friend who said he never used his rear dump valve on his BC/Wing, that the rear dump was only an OPV. Me personally, I frequently use my rear dump as opposed to my inflator hose because to use the inflator, you have to right yourself.

What do you do, and why?

Whether it's recreational on a PLF (Pretty Little Fishies) dive, or, obligated and carrying stages:

I use the rear dump ~85% of the time
Use the inflator hose to get underwater at the begining of the dive
Use the inflator hose to squeeze the last bit of air out of the wing at the 20'/10' stops - I just can't get the wing completely empty on the rear dump alone

All the best, James

Except on the surface at the beginning of a dive, I use the
rear dump pretty much exclusively.

I am now trying to force myself to use the rear dump exclusively - but until recently - I used the dump on the corrugated hose.

I always felt that the stage/deco tanks got in the way - but im finally able to reach back and easily grab the rear dump as needed. I will still grab the corrugated hose in the event that I want to very quickly release air.

Rear dump.....but I have been known to go to the inflator hose when wearing the cold water blue gloves.......I have yet to master the rear dump with the gloves, but I'm working on it (well, I will be again this winter). :wink:

rear dump unless i'm vertical which only happens on surface before dive (so i begin dumping with the inflator hose, then when my head is under i go horizontal, from there it's exclusively rear dump)

I use my corrugated hose. I just remain horizontal and hold the hose over my head. A short open time and wait. I've got a dump valve on the upper right side of the wing. I routed the pull cord down long side the right shoulder harness. This allows a large amount of air to be released and reserve its use for an emergency, runaway ascent. The lower left has a dump valve that works when I am upside down, runaway ascent upside down? The short of it is the corrugated hose allows for finer adjustments which is what I prefer.

Rear dump exclusively...When I need to get the last gram of air out I simply do a quick "headstand" and the wing is completely empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom