• Inflator Hose

Votes: 53 37.3%
  • Rear Dump

Votes: 70 49.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 19 13.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On stock BC's I reach over my right shoulder and tug on the line of the Shoulder dump. I only touch the inflator to inflate.
On wings I predominantly use the rear dump, except for the initial descent (I use the inflator).
I often ascend horizontal till the last 10ft.

I find a shoulder dump is already in the highest point when you're in horizontal trim; so if you've got it, use it.
Additionally if you have to trim out to vent, you're head is still in a position to look forward. Where as with a butt dump, you have to take your eyes down off say your photo subject or your dive team.

When diving in aquarium exhibits, I often go vertical when ascending to make sure my space is clear and I'm not going to spook the tank's inhabitants/run into them. Regardless of BC I then use the inflator dump.

Butt dump probably 90% of the time, usually do negative entries off a boat but even if postive on the surface I can usually do a 'duck dive' (unless I have a lot of/big stages/other gear) so I avoid having to take the inflator out of it's keeper. If I really need to get every last little bit of air out during the last 6m then I'll use the inflator dump because I find it easier but then have to get vertical, so usually try to avoid that - but if getting LOG then might have to do it that way

Pretty much like everyone else--hose for initial descent, rear dump for just about everything else. There are obvious exceptions. For example, if ascending a narrow, sloping tunnel in a cave, you have to use the inflator hose.

I don't use the rear dump much because I don't like the way Dive Rite puts it between the wing and the plate. Just seems difficult to find the pull string and get the wing into position. I've found that rolling to my right will put the top left corner of my wing into proper position, so I don't have to right myself in order to use the inflator hose. There's little to no air in my wing on most dives anyway, so I don't find this to be a big problem.

Inflator hose pull dump for me. My right hand is usually occupied with cameras and lights, while I keep my left hand free for other stuff. If I had a rear dump on the left, I would probably use it.

I think the problem with use of dumps starts with basic OW training. Most of the beginning instruction is done on the knees, and pretty much everything done after that--by far for the most part--is done with the diver vertical in the water. The inflator hose is the logical choice then, and I suspect that it is the only one used in most introductory classes.

I recently started working with a student on advanced diving techniques. He had his own equipment. When I talked about the fact that he should probably be using his rear dump throughout the working part of a dive, it was the first time he had realized that the rear dump existed--in his own equipment.

Position is the dictator of which air vent I use. I am prone to use the low pressure inflator, but not exclusively. If you prefer one venting "tool" then realize to vent all air, and avoid trapped bubbles in a bcd or wing, you can "roll" and also alter you vertical/horizontal position for a moment, and will need to from time to time.
DivemasterDennis

I find the hose dump easier to control. I just hold it open and raise or lower it to control how much air I dump.

Except on the surface at the beginning of a dive, I use the
rear dump pretty much exclusively.

+1

--

I have seen some people have issues using the rear dump, sometimes b/c the cord with the knob is way too long. I cut all mine down to where they're only a few inches, which for me makes it easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom