• Inflator Hose

Votes: 53 37.3%
  • Rear Dump

Votes: 70 49.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 19 13.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking to a friend who said he never used his rear dump valve on his BC/Wing, that the rear dump was only an OPV. Me personally, I frequently use my rear dump as opposed to my inflator hose because to use the inflator, you have to right yourself.

What do you do, and why?

I use rear dump almost exclusively whether I'm in my single rig or my doubles rig. At the surface on the ocean dives, I may use the inflator hose to dump but once I'm under the surface, it's the rear dump for remainder of my descent and my dive. I use the rear dump because it's easier to control the amount of gas I'm dumping from my wing, at least, it is for the way I dive.

I use both of them randomly on ascent.

I mostly use my inflator hose. I dive with my hands out in front of me, and it's a very short distance from there to the inflator, but a much longer sweep backwards to the butt dump. If I am carrying additional tanks, I have to get my hand between them and my body to reach the dump. Because my wings have a fairly large upper arc, there is always gas available to the inflator without changing trim much, if at all.

The one time I used my butt dump a ton was when I dove wet in Mexico. For some reason, it seemed really easy to do it then.

I will use both as the situation dictates (going up hill on a scooter and I use the hose, for instance). My default is to use the rear dump, however.

inflator hose at the beginning of the dive, mainly because I'm floating upright at the surface, after that its almost exclusively my rear dump valve.

I find the hose dump easier to control. I just hold it open and raise or lower it to control how much air I dump.

an effective "old school" technique which I highly doubt is taught anymore. where is Thal?

I seem to have "issues" finding the string on the butt dump with 5 & 7 mm gloves. I like using the inflator directly,or the pull to dump (shhhhhhhhh!) that I have depending on how I need to execute.

Last edited:
what ever valve is at the highest point .... :wink:

Jim..;

Back
Top Bottom