Rear Inflate vs. Jacket for Newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n733lk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Should a newbie be considering a Rear Inflate BC?

Pros - Cons

I'm looking at a Zeagle Escape- Scuba Pro Superhawk - Oceanic Probe BioFlex

Thanks!

Sure, give them a try and see which one you prefer. It's personal preference

There is no reason not to try both types. You will find that they are both intuitive and similar in their use.

The argument of rear vs jacket has been going on since the two types have existed.
You'll hear people put down rear because "it'll pitch you forward on the surface" or "you can't be vertical on the surface". It's basically a bunch of bull. The only way it would start to tip you forward is if you over inflate and that's still not a big deal all you do is lean back and lay on top of your tank. How do you avoid over inflation? Don't over inflate your BCD, if you have to over inflate then you have to much weight.
Remember a BCD is not a personal flotation device it's a buoyancy compensation device. It's meant to help keep you neutrally buoyant at depth. When you're at depth you want to be horizontal not vertical in the water column. So when you think about it if the rear inflate does push you to the horizontal position isn't that exactly what you want?

It really comes down to personal preference. You have to try one out and see how you feel in it.

A Back Plate and wing has its place and it fits all styles of diving. From rec to tech

Standard BCs have a place aswell but is limited. Back inflate BCs are versitle and can fit most dive environments.

Try all you can and yes even a back plate and wing...at least you will be better educated and make a smarter choice for what is right for you.

Agreed with the above posts. I've gone to the Seahawk after years in the Superhawk. Also one thing to point out once you have the proper weighting on a back inflate use the trim pouches which helps keep you balanced vertically further eliminating any face down or forward pitch.
Personal note two reasons I use the back inflation- No squeeze on the abdomen, second lower profile when deflated.

Good luck

I've gone to the Seahawk after years in the Superhawk.

Another vote for the Seahawk by Scubapro. Great BC and I think it is an improvement of the Knighthawk which has been one of their top sellers for years. You can do most any type of diving with this BC.

back inflate, more comfortable and easier to achieve proper trim

I suppose I have to say this again. A backplate requires a wing. A wing doesn't require a backplate, and many are worn with a soft harness instead.

IMO a jacket BC is easier to use by a newby, and in particular is usually easier to vent. But either can be made to work. Conventional wrap-around BCs may not be as well suited to certain types of diving as a wing configuration, but they can be used for virtually any type of diving. They can be less versatile though. If your BC (either type) fits you in warm water wearing a thin suit or none, then it will need considerable adjustment to enlarge it to accommodate a thick wetsuit or a drysuit in cold water. A well thought-out harness carrying a wing can probably be adjusted to suit both circumstances; a wrap-around probably can't and you'll need another one. If you're wearing a drysuit the last thing you want is a wrap-around BC constricting your breathing. Nonetheless, the vast majority of dives are done each year in jacket-style BCs, which must say something. All the really experienced divers I know who have wing configurations also have wrap-around BCs, and most choose those for simple recreational dives with a single tank.

A backplate makes the whole setup more rigid and predictable on your back. If you're carrying a lot of weight (lots of tanks) you'll probably need one. If you're just carrying a standard manifolded twinset, or even a single tank, you may find a more flexible package more comfortable. It's personal taste.

A stainless-steel backplate weighs a lot, so using one reduces or obviates the need for lead. That can be seen as a good thing, as the weight of the plate is well situated for balance underwater. Viewed another way, you now have a chunk of weight that you can't ditch. In cold water when you're carrying extra weight in the form of lead that probably doesn't matter, but in warm water you may find you don't need any lead, or to put it another way you have no ditchable weight. Whether than matters to you is again a matter of personal judgement.

There backplates made from other lighter materials to which the weight issue above doesn't apply.

And then of course there's sidemount, which is different again and has increasing numbers of adherents, from people at the beginning of their diving to very experienced cave divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom