Rear Inflate vs. Jacket for Newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there is any reason why a new diver shouldn't consider a back-inflate BC. The only thing I think a new diver should avoid is anything that is excessively complicated or cumbersome to use (and I put the i3 BCs in that class).

I think the best advice is to try as many different types and configurations as you can and interested in before you decide on anything. It doesn't matter what anyone here uses or recommends, the most important thing is what YOU like and feel comfortable wearing.

There just isn't one type or style for everyone, and you will find folks who love and hate each and every different style or type. Do yourself a favor and decide for yourself after exploring each option...and feel good about your choice once you've made it.

I don't think there is any reason why a new diver shouldn't consider a back-inflate BC. The only thing I think a new diver should avoid is anything that is excessively complicated or cumbersome to use (and I put the i3 BCs in that class).

I'm a newbie with an i3 system and love it, it's also easier to use than a conventional system! So whatchutalkinabout???

I'll throw in my two cents if it helps. I know tusa makes anice back inflate. I actully stareted with a back inflate and loved it from day one for the simple reason is it keeps you horizontal when you are underwater which makes it one less thing to worry about while you are underwater..

Now for the rumor mill I had heard the zeagal isn't doing well finacially whether that is true or not but I haven't looked for any info on that topic but that is what I have heard

If your BC (either type) fits you in warm water wearing a thin suit or none, then it will need considerable adjustment to enlarge it to accommodate a thick wetsuit or a drysuit in cold water. A well thought-out harness carrying a wing can probably be adjusted to suit both circumstances; a wrap-around probably can't and you'll need another one. If you're wearing a drysuit the last thing you want is a wrap-around BC constricting your breathing.

What?!?!

My jacket BC fist just fine in a t-shirt, 3 mil, 7 mil, 7 mil farmer john, and drysuit with undergarments for 38 F water to 70 F water. No "considerable adjustments" are needed. I can definitely say that my jacket is my preferred BC in a drysuit due to fit. Since the amount of air needed to offset the squeeze provides enough bouyancy, I don't understand the breathing restriction comment.

Actually, I view a BP/W as a pain for someone that can encounter a variety of exposure suits and water temperatures. I see the jacket or back-inflate as more easily adjusted than a BP/W, and yes, I own a BP/W.

My jacket BC fist just fine in a t-shirt, 3 mil, 7 mil, 7 mil farmer john, and drysuit with undergarments for 38 F water to 70 F water. No "considerable adjustments" are needed. I can definitely say that my jacket is my preferred BC in a drysuit due to fit. Since the amount of air needed to offset the squeeze provides enough bouyancy, I don't understand the breathing restriction comment

You're lucky then. Many people find it as I stated.

I like my Bare Voodoo which is back inflate but at the surface also has the ability to inflate a bit on the sides (not to be used underwater). So the best of both options.

I recently got a CressiSub Back Jac, which is a back inflate, but have yet to have it in the water. But in comforts of my living room, I have found it very easily adjustable to size. It has a strap on the back, beneath the bladder, that adjusts the cumberbund length. Many BCDs may have this, I really don't know, but my previous ones (jackets) did not. So, i understand the sizing problems with different wetsuits, but don't think it will be an issue with my new one.

I really don't see why a newby would have a problem with a back inflate. At the early stages of any hobby, you are most adaptable to things. The problem would be getting used to one style, then swithching to another, IMHO.

The pros and cons listed are correct, but for a new diver I feel the jacket style is a better alternative.

I can only speak from DM experience and the issues I have had with new divers and wing or back inflate systems is their inability to properly vent air, some models trap air. No matter how hard they try still keep floating and after coming up from 60-70 feet the air expands, they can't vent because they are not in the proper position, they get the fear of god look in their eyes as they start floating away from the group. I have had to squeeze more air from those BC's than any jacket style.

It really depends on your task loading and your skill level, some divers are "naturals" and it won't be a problem, but it really only takes one bad experience to look at it in a different light.

I would go to a dive shop, see if they have demo's for you to try.

good diving to you.

Brian

I have limited experience with different types of BCs but your question reminds me of my OW classes.
I've only wore a jacket BC once during my first pool session of OW.I hated it.It was uncomfortable and I found it difficult to get in a good dive position.I discussed this with my instructor after class and he switched me to a back inflate later at the shop.
My second pool session was very different.I was comfortable which made everything easier.I was even able to start getting a grasp on controlling my buoyancy using only my lungs during the "play time" after class.I did the rest of my classes and check outs with the back inflate and had no trouble at all.
I'm yet to see any piece of dive gear that wasn't loved by some and hated by others.Try as many different types as you can and go with what works for you.You are the one diving with it,not them.An opposing opinion doesn't make something right or wrong for everybody,just the individual expressing the opinion.

Back
Top Bottom