Reasons to take a propulsion/trim/buoyancy class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the professional side, I would love nothing more than to audit a class like this. Some of us never had the luxury of professional trim/propulsion training, I had to learn it by parking my butt in a swimming pool or 10' below a lake and going through the long process of un-learning, followed by the longer process of trial and error. Despite repetitive comments on ability, I'm sure many of the nuances are lost on me (especially with having to regurgitate it in a teaching context).

Perhaps a workshop to benefit willing instructors and divemasters wouldn't be a bad idea, either! :D

Thinking back on my class, it was taught and practiced but not emphasized. I didn't walk away thinking these were extremely important. I concentrated on gear setup and usage. Survival skills seemed far more important. It didn't click until I started reading sb. On my aow first dive, just after descending to the bottom for a bouyancy / trim check, I flutter kicked and was kicking up silt. My instructor stopped and made me look backwards to see what I was doing. That's the moment I realized the kick wasn't good. Ive since been practicing getting my fins up. I plan to continue studying and practicing but I am now very conscience of kicking up silt. Now if I could get my bouyancy and trim spot on. I'm still taking a pound off here and there and screwed up my trim on my last dive but its an easy fix.

Posts like this help newer divers realize there was more taught than just survival and gear. It was there all along but not emphasized as just as important.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thinking back on my class, it was taught and practiced but not emphasized. I didn't walk away thinking these were extremely important. I concentrated on gear setup and usage. Survival skills seemed far more important.

this was my experience as well.. taught but not emphasized, we weren't anywhere close to vertical but weren't anywhere close to perfect buoyancy and trim either (and of course like most OW students, only knew to do the flutter)
only because i'm a stickler for efficiency and doing things the right way i've done alot of self training (based on reading, videos and advice here on scubaboard)... every dive is an opportunity to improve my skills but i can see where a course like this can be super helpful to many divers that cant do it by themselves

Last edited:
The traditional Scuba class starts out on their knees and they learn all of the "skills", one by one. Neutral buoyancy is introduced way late, and normally the student is not required to redo the skills introduced prior to this while neutrally buoyant. Once out in open water, the traditional class drops to it's knees to demonstrate these skills in a serial manner. After each dive's skills are done, the students then get neutral and they have a quick tour of the area. This has been the status quo for scuba instruction for at least twenty years.

The NASEified Scuba class puts a premium on getting neutral. While the timing of the introduction of being neutral is left up to the instructor (as it should be), all the skills have to be demonstrated mid water. In addition, rather than requiring a one or two minute hover, NASE requires it's divers to be neutral throughout their entire dive for every dive. There is no need to kneel before agency or instructor here! :D Personally, after a brief stint in the baby pool playing with mask clearing, I introduce neutral buoyancy as the first skill when on Scuba. We'll spend an hour, two or even three getting everyone just right in terms of trim and buoyancy. Yes, the frog kick is also introduced here and students are encouraged to mimic their instructor. After and only after everyone is able to cruise up and down the swim lane comfortably (seven foot deep) and without flailing do we get started on the rest of the skills. Each skill is then introduced, practiced and mastered until it can be done comfortably without losing trim or neutral buoyancy. By the time my students finish learning their skills, they dive like veterans. We are usually done in two 4 hour pool sessions and I hold my class max to 4 unless it's a family event. No, my students don't get to play in the OW environment until both they and I think they are ready. My last class had four session because one of the students felt a bit timid. That's OK. In fact, that's way OK. By the time we get to OW, they are merely showing off what they know. To that end, I rarely ask them to do a skill in isolation. Rather, I watch them do their skills in situ and as needed. In other words, the entire class is spent exploring the reefs and looking at critters. Diving has become somewhat second nature and almost automatic at this point. You'll be calculating your SAC and seeing just how fast you're using your gas.

My remedial class is very close to my OW class. It's usually smaller (one or two), less formal and I focus on remediating your fears and past failures. You can be sure that a lot of the OW skills will be done over. This is done to evaluate as well as to confirm your ability to maintain your depth. I don't see myself as any kind of "super instructor". Rather, I just care about my students and them having the most fun while diving. Will you be perfect after the class? Nope. My goal is to give you the tools and insight needed to get as close to perfection as you want to go. After all, your diving is up to you and there are no Scuba Police out there grading you on how well you are doing.

As for a workshop, bring it on down here to the Keys. I would love to show fellow instructors how simple and easy this method really is. I can even accommodate a cross over or not as you see fit. I really don't care what agency you teach for. Like my diving, I'm pretty neutral about that too! :D

I am not sure how teaching on knees ever became "the way to do it" other than it has been perpetuated throughout the years through minimal standards & lowered expectations as SOP.

Frankly, teaching all skills neutrally from the get go is actually easier and in the end produces better divers. Trim & Buoyancy control should be "mastered" during Open Water to produce a "competent" diver. If this were the standard for all agencies, then in theory there would be little need for remedial courses like "Peak Performance Buoyancy". This should be the minimum standard and not the difference between a very good instructor and just any other instructor. However, from talking to most newer or less experienced divers, there is a HUGE need...so don't worry, these skills really are easy to dial in and fine tune with just a bit of proper coaching and practice.

Here are some photos of a recent DSD after an hour in the pool:

Horizontal Trim, frog kicking, with no use of hands or sculling
IMG_4333 copy.jpg IMG_4334 copy.jpg IMG_4340 copy.jpg IMG_4341 copy.jpg IMG_4345 copy.jpg

Neutral mask clearing
IMG_4336 copy.jpg

Starting students off in the "scuba position" (=horizontal, not a boat, not an anchor, as a fish) from the beginning is just not as hard as some instructors think it is, probably since they have never tried it any other way than what their CD at their instructor mill preached.

I start my AOW students (anyone did not complete a full OW class with me) with remediation of their trim, propulsion, and buoyancy and then carry these techniques through all of the remaining training dives in the course.

Pete, do you do the remedial class in the pool or ocean? When hubby and I come back down to Key Largo sometime in the future, I believe this class would be a great one for us to take. Jim has taken video of me with his GoPro and that was quite a learning experience....ugh! After watching it I realized I was using my hands way too much and have made a conscious effort to stop. Having a professional
(that would be you :no:) critique my diving skills would be beneficial....then I wouldn't make an a$$ of myself on the videos any longer! Well, maybe not :shakehead:.

Pete, do you do the remedial class in the pool or ocean?
Both, actually. Day one is pool with video and a walk in dive (if time permits). Day two entails doing what we learned in the ocean (if weather permits).

When hubby and I come back down to Key Largo sometime in the future, I believe this class would be a great one for us to take. Jim has taken video of me with his GoPro and that was quite a learning experience....ugh! After watching it I realized I was using my hands way too much and have made a conscious effort to stop. Having a professional
(that would be you :no:) critique my diving skills would be beneficial....then I wouldn't make an a$$ of myself on the videos any longer! Well, maybe not :shakehead:.
An instructor should be able to isolate and focus on your problem areas, getting you to having fun a bit faster. However, an instructor is not essential to this process and an instructor that kneels, flails and silts would be of little if any assistance. Trim and neutral buoyancy must be their passion, not just another class they sell. As one student put it, they need to have "snobbish amounts of trim" if the class is going to benefit you.

I might be missing the point. But I have put off taking AOW for some time because I believe skills like trim/propulsion/neutral buoyancy requires practice to perfect, not something that can be fixed in 1 session.
Am I missing anything by not taking the class? I mean like... what would be covered in the session that I couldn't get from the mighty internet articles that are written by fantastic instructors themselves.

I might be missing the point. But I have put off taking AOW for some time because I believe skills like trim/propulsion/neutral buoyancy requires practice to perfect, not something that can be fixed in 1 session.
Am I missing anything by not taking the class? I mean like... what would be covered in the session that I couldn't get from the mighty internet articles that are written by fantastic instructors themselves.

Buoyancy/trim/propulsion is not part of the normal AOW course curriculum. If you want to learn these things, take a specialized course as being discussed in this thread. If you want to do five dives with an instructor that encourage you to think about topics such as depth, navigation, etc., then take AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom