Rebreather and SCUDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Celeus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there!

I'm seriously considering getting myself a rebreather. Some of the questions I'm still trying to answer for myself have to do with what kinds of dives I'd be doing on a rebreather that I can't currently do OC and do I really want to be under water that long.

To date, the main reasons I want to come up after an hour are temp, call-of-nature and thirst. I know of best practices to deal with the first two, and for thirst, I presently use a SCUDA (Self-Contained-Underwater-Drinking-Apparatus)- this has worked very well for me.

The issue is less dry mouth than genuine thirst- I drink a lot of water throughout the day even when I'm not doing something active. While I imagine breathing nice warm, humid air will help with temp as well as some of the drymouth, I expect I'll be wanting to take a nice swig of water at some point.

I know that water in the breathing loop is a bad thing. I also know that on most units you can close the loop, and that the KISS for example makes it possible to easily switch to breathing off the diluent.

So my question is this- has anyone used a SCUDA with a rebreather (particularly with a KISS Sport), is this just a very bad idea, and should I just consider using a camelback?

This issue was one of the biggest impediments to me enjoying longer dives, so it is pretty high on my list to need a solution to if I decide to switch to a rebreather.

Thanks,

-- Celeus

I suppose as long as you close the loop while you're drinking, it shouldn't be a problem. I would avoid breathing off the diluent source on open circuit if possible. Rebreather divers hate to waste diluent.

Not being flip - doesn't your question point towards chronic dehydration? I have never seen anyone need hydration on a CCR unless they are epic dives. You get your drink from the deco. station or friendly go-fer! Some caves in Fla. have pure water. All you have to do is open your mouth.
X

Well, it may be chronic dehydration, however I've had relatively recent checkups (and probably will get another one soon) and nothing points to any medical condition- I think I just get thirsty- I end up having to flush things out a bit more often than most as well.

It's mostly a comfort thing. I've seen people hook up a dromedary pack to a pair of doubles before. I may just try a camelback and see how well that works on OC, and if it goes well just plan on doing that if I get a rebreather.

Hopefully I'll find that I don't need it after I get more moisture in the air, but before I make a big commitment to changing how I dive, I want to be sure the options are there.

Thanks!

Celeus:
Well, it may be chronic dehydration, however I've had relatively recent checkups (and probably will get another one soon) and nothing points to any medical condition- I think I just get thirsty- I end up having to flush things out a bit more often than most as well.

It's mostly a comfort thing. I've seen people hook up a dromedary pack to a pair of doubles before. I may just try a camelback and see how well that works on OC, and if it goes well just plan on doing that if I get a rebreather.

Hopefully I'll find that I don't need it after I get more moisture in the air, but before I make a big commitment to changing how I dive, I want to be sure the options are there.

Thanks!

Diving the CCR + drinking water shouldn't be too big a transition. I've eaten things underwater, plus drank coke in a pool. The only biggie is shutting the DSV and ingesting microbes in yuckier water.

Best,

X

I have been diving rebreathers for nearly 10 years now. Have never found thurst to be a problem. And loss of body heat is not a big issue provided you have proper thermal protection to start with. The chemical action of the scrubber produces heat. I suppose a camel pack would work. The instructor you work with for your rebreather training should be able to help you experiment with this until you get the hang of it.

Two things to keep in mind are:

1) You don't have the "purge" on a DSV like on a OC second stage, so going off the loop and back on isn't as dry as it is on OC. This could be an issue if you take a lot of sips. You'll chance a bit of water into the loop each time.

2) And here's the one to think about; If you have an RB like a KISS, with it's constant O2 addition and you take time off the loop to drink, depending on how long you're off for, your bouyancy will change as the loop volume increases, and your PO2 will go up because you aren't metabolizing the incoming O2. .... Once back on the loop, you'll have to get both back in line ... which is additional task loading.

It would seem you may still have things to sort out with your diving before you consider a breather.

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom