Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver:
<snip> I don't want to have to lug all that bail-out gas with me that it will take me to get out in case that very expensive piece of gear fails!

Ah, statements made by someone who hasn't studied them...yet. :D

On a 4 hour dive that I did recently, I carried 2 AL40 sidemounted bailout cylinders. They lie parallel with my body and with the tank valve right behind my armpit. The setup was so streamlined that I didn't even know that I was carrying them. I carried all the gas that I would need for me to get home; no team bailout necessary.

A closed circuit rebreather has some redundancy built in. If all goes to pot, the unit can be run in semi closed mode (less efficient than CCR but more efficient than OC). That will easily get you home. Typically, the only reason to utilize your OC bailout to get you home is if you have a complete, unrecoverable flood. There are some units out there, when properly assembled, that are extremely difficult to flood. So, the only practical way to flood it and keep it flooded is if you get the breathing hose cut (unlikley but anything is possible).

Arm yourself with knowledge and one of the better designed CCRs and you'll be having a lot of fun! Afterall, we're there to enjoy the dive. :wink:

Sydney_Diver:
Ewwww Open-Circut, you are most welcome to that. And I would be carrying half the tanks as you would be and still coming out with 95% more gas :rofl3:

Cheers
Chriso

yeah.. yeah.. SHOWOFF!! :light:

Cheers :D

Mike

PacketSniffer:
Ah, statements made by someone who hasn't studied them...yet. :D

On a 4 hour dive that I did recently, I carried 2 AL40 sidemounted bailout cylinders. They lie parallel with my body and with the tank valve right behind my armpit. The setup was so streamlined that I didn't even know that I was carrying them. I carried all the gas that I would need for me to get home; no team bailout necessary.

A closed circuit rebreather has some redundancy built in. If all goes to pot, the unit can be run in semi closed mode (less efficient than CCR but more efficient than OC). That will easily get you home. Typically, the only reason to utilize your OC bailout to get you home is if you have a complete, unrecoverable flood. There are some units out there, when properly assembled, that are extremely difficult to flood. So, the only practical way to flood it and keep it flooded is if you get the breathing hose cut (unlikley but anything is possible).

Arm yourself with knowledge and one of the better designed CCRs and you'll be having a lot of fun! Afterall, we're there to enjoy the dive. :wink:

What breather do you dive?

I have dove the KISS and the MEG. Are you using an armadillo or Nomad for your bailout sidemount? Works great with a Nomad :wink:

Cheers :D

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
What breather do you dive?

I dive a Meg with the Dive Rite sidemount kit (butt plate and bungee; not the complete Nomad).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom