REC TriMix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how well does say rec trimix from iantd cross over to another agency if you wanted to get qualified later for deeper diving?

Spectre:
GUE has Rec Triox
NAUI Tech has Helitrox

Not sure about the others.
thanks.
Does NAUI use they same equipment setup that PADI teaches?

what about IANTD, is there equipment the same as PADI Open Water?

thank you for your time and have a good day

As diverbrian mentioned above, go to the IANTD website (www.iantd.com) and click on "Standards and Procedures". They cover Recreational Trimix on page 29 and Advanced Recreational Trimix on page 35. Both of these limit your END to 80 fsw as well as limiting depth and deco time (130fsw/3min for recreational trimix and 150fsw/15 min for advanced recreational trimix).

Personally, I think you would get more "bang for the buck" by doing a normoxic trimix course (later in the same document). This allows END to 120 (allowing less of the expensive helium), depth to 200 fsw, and whatever deco is required. You may not need all of this, but (in my opinion) the incremental cost of training is not that much more and will probably serve you better in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

debersole:
Personally, I think you would get more "bang for the buck" by doing a normoxic trimix course (later in the same document). This allows END to 120 (allowing less of the expensive helium), depth to 200 fsw, and whatever deco is required. You may not need all of this, but (in my opinion) the incremental cost of training is not that much more and will probably serve you better in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

Problem with jumping straight to Normoxic is that Technical Diver (Deep Air) is a requirement. By completing the Recreational Trimix course first, you can then put He in you tanks for the Tech Diver cert, making it much safer.

I think the Deep Air requirements are total horse guana. Let's teach someone a dangerous habit, and then show them how to do it safer. Right.

I did the following order on the certs with IANTD:

recreational trimix/advanced recrational trimix combined
technical diver(deep air)/normoxic trimix combined
full trimix (normoxic)

badgers:
Does NAUI use they same equipment setup that PADI teaches?

Most likely not. I don't know of PADI teaching anything other than singles, and I think you will find most NAUI Tech instructors to require doubles.

They [NAUI Tech] has adopted a hogarthian based NTEC equipment configuration that I believe would apply to the helitrox classes as well. You'd have to run it by the instructor you'd be going with.

mempilot:

Good point. I came at trimix training through a more circuitous route, but you are right. With IANTD, you have to have deep air (130fsw) training to get advanced nitrox certification and you must have advanced nitrox to take the technical diver/normoxic trimix training. That having been said, I don't see the role for being a "recreational trimix" diver if you are only going to dive to a max depth of 130fsw with an END of 80 fsw. After all, helium isn't cheap. However, if you are going to use it as a safe way of going through the stepping stones to normoxic and then to full trimix, it makes good sense.

seems like more people have gone the iantd route..is that a fiar assesment or am i off the mark?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom