REC TriMix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debersole:
mempilot:

Good point. I came at trimix training through a more circuitous route, but you are right. With IANTD, you have to have deep air (130fsw) training to get advanced nitrox certification and you must have advanced nitrox to take the technical diver/normoxic trimix training. That having been said, I don't see the role for being a "recreational trimix" diver if you are only going to dive to a max depth of 130fsw with an END of 80 fsw. After all, helium isn't cheap. However, if you are going to use it as a safe way of going through the stepping stones to normoxic and then to full trimix, it makes good sense.

The rec trimix can be combined with advanced nitrox also.

TDI did my basic Nitrox course.
I have got my equipment and I don't want to get anything else, I have gotten used to my rig and I would like to keep it the way it is.
I don't really go deep, and mempilot is right, I don't want to dive deep. I really don't want to dive deep on air. I don't have access to a lot of different instructors the "GUE" programs are not present here in Madison, Wi
I am really after getting a little helium in my mix for diving at about 100 feet in lake Michigan. I am pretty warm in my dry suit and I don't think 20% helium would make me that cold. Some friends are trimix divers and they keep telling me that even at 100 feet I would notice more "awareness" with a little helium.

I am looking to see if there is a NAUI instructor somewhere in the area.
Thank you for your time and have a good day

hey badgers thanks for asking the question, helped me out as well!!

badgers:
TDI did my basic Nitrox course.
I have got my equipment and I don't want to get anything else, I have gotten used to my rig and I would like to keep it the way it is.
I don't really go deep, and mempilot is right, I don't want to dive deep. I really don't want to dive deep on air. I don't have access to a lot of different instructors the "GUE" programs are not present here in Madison, Wi
I am really after getting a little helium in my mix for diving at about 100 feet in lake Michigan. I am pretty warm in my dry suit and I don't think 20% helium would make me that cold. Some friends are trimix divers and they keep telling me that even at 100 feet I would notice more "awareness" with a little helium.

I am looking to see if there is a NAUI instructor somewhere in the area.
Thank you for your time and have a good day

Madison? Check out Greg Such of Shipwreck Adventures. He's in Two Rivers but teaches all over the area. He's a TDI instructor and recently rolled out a new rec trimix class. I don't have his number handy but his website is shipwreckadventures.com I think.

badgers:
which agencies have a "REC TriMix" course

Badgers,

I think it would be useful to understand more about what your diving goals are. Comparing agency standards is a small part of a larger picture with respect to a rectreational based Triox class.

If I can help feel free to PM me, or I'll be in Milwaukee in two weeks teaching a DIR-F class and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

Michael Kane
GUE Instructor 5027

The IANTD Deep Diver class doesn't require air, its actually usually combined with Adv. Nitrox. (There is a Deep Diver course, but no longer a Deep Air course.) IANTD should take it out of their logo, that would go a long way toward fixing that misunderstanding. :wink:

IANTD Technical Diver is the course that requires deep air in the fact that it trains divers to dive at depths between 100 and 170 fsw utilizing eanX gases.

If taken prior to Advanced Recreational Trimix, which has a prerequisite of Recreational Trimix and eanX, then a dive to 170 fsw is a 'Deep Air' dive.

If taken after the Adv. Rec. Trimix course, then helium can be blended into the mix, and training dives done to 150' can be done in a safer manner.

The next progression would be Normoxic Trimix, which will allow a diver to descend to 200 fsw, and the prereqs include Technical Diver.

Therefore, a diver wanting to do Normoxic Trimix can do so without getting the Rec Trimix certs, but must complete the Tech Diver course without He mix.

Unsafe in my opinion. IANTD needs to get rid of the Technical Diver certification (Deep Air) and just incorporate the knowledge and skills into it's other courses.

I took the NAUI Technical Diver course just before the new standards came out. For equipment and configuration we were pointed to GUE's "Anatomy of a Technical Diver" web page. My equipment still fits with the new NTEC standards.

My course included, Advanced Nitrox, Deco proceedures, and Helitrox.
Helitrox can be taken by itself as a recreational diving course.

Helium will make a difference with the dives you want to do!! Our fist day of training dives we dived Nitrox, The second day we dived Helitrox. It was almost the same dive as the day before. We all thought it was noticably colder. It wasn't. it was just that we were more aware of the cold!!

Tavi:
Helium will make a difference with the dives you want to do!! Our fist day of training dives we dived Nitrox, The second day we dived Helitrox. It was almost the same dive as the day before. We all thought it was noticably colder. It wasn't. it was just that we were more aware of the cold!!

Agreed 100%.

Helium is expensive, but, for recreational dives, you don't need that much.

Example:

Steel 95cf tank at 2640psi

Dive depth(MOD): 120
Target END: 80
Target PO2: 1.4

Best Mix would be 30/12/58

385 psi of O2
317 psi of He
1938 psi of Air

Assuming cost of gas is $0.22 for O2, $0.55 for He, and $3.00 for an airfill, then the cost of this fill would be approximately:

$15.00

Not that much more than an ean30 fill.

mempilot:
Therefore, a diver wanting to do Normoxic Trimix can do so without getting the Rec Trimix certs, but must complete the Tech Diver course without He mix.

I don't think this is correct. The tech diver course and the normoxic course may be combined. Even leaving rec trimix out of it you can get through the entire IANTD progression without diving air/nitrox beyond recreational depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom